Credit Card - 59 pence entries.

Just looked on-line at my credit card statement. Recent transactions ok but under transactions awaiting authorisation were two transactions described as 'International' for 59pence. As I didn't make this payment I rang the credit card help line. They said 'Don't worry about that - some companies who get your card details for the first time send out dummy transactions, one debit, the other credit for a small amount to see if your card is working ok' The two transactions will not show on your 'recent transactions' page. I have never experienced this before and wondered if any other forum members had heard of this practice.

I've heard paypal do something similar to verify a card for use.

It sounds kinda scammy tho, put through a small transaction to confirm the credit card is valid, then buy 10 TV's and have them shipped to Lagos.

Mike G, yes it does happen, it is quite disconcerting, but if you had looked at your account a little later they wouldn't have been recorded. We found the same happening on our account, just the fact that we had checked it a number of times that particular day that we saw the debit and credit transaction, it then disappears, we contacted the company that had done it and the bank who both told us the same thing you have been told.

As it happened, I'd given Paypal new credit card details the day the transactions appeared. Problem solved thanks, but you have to keep your wits about you these days.

I had this when I registered on mission fish which I use to donate to charity through eBay/Paypal, the very next day I had a phone call from the fraud division of my credit card company to verify its validity.

Its not unusual for some company's to do this to check your card, but it is also widely used by fraudsters to check cards are working too, hence the phone call I got.

I've had it at Carphone Warehouse where they take £1 from your debit card and then immediately refund it, it's just to make sure the card/account is ok.

Some 'Pay at the Pump' petrol stations do this too, take an amount out before you start filling up to verify the card.

The first time it happened to me Id put 20 quid in my car but thought theyd only charged me a pound!

Archived