Election Fraud - Why don't we have to show ID?

I've just been to vote. I normally take my polling card but I forgot it. The woman said it didn't matter, took my name and address and issued me with a voting slip. She crossed my name off the list.

When I got home I looked at my polling card and it says that the card is not required in order to vote.

But I could have been anyone. In this world where I have to show two pieces of identification to borrow a library book, how on earth can it be safe to let people vote on the strength of them quoting a name and address?

I was able to vote for my missus last time, and she for me. The system is as leaky as a siff.

:huh:

Having Googled 'siff', all I can come up with is the 'Seattle International Film Festival'.

I'm actually struggling to think what on earth that has with a leak ... is it because everyone knows that Bryan Cranston will have won everything beforehand, or is it more to do with poor roof maintenance to the festival building itself, making it (in inclement weather) leak like a sieve? :huh::P

I've just been to vote. I normally take my polling card but I forgot it. The woman said it didn't matter, took my name and address and issued me with a voting slip. She crossed my name off the list.

When I got home I looked at my polling card and it says that the card is not required in order to vote.

But I could have been anyone. In this world where I have to show two pieces of identification to borrow a library book, how on earth can it be safe to let people vote on the strength of them quoting a name and address?

It was not as private either. Anyone could look over my shoulder and see how I was voting.

Not that I would mind anyway but it seems a very leaky system.

I presume it's because we don't have an ID card in this country, but yes, it's a surprise that you don't have to show your polling card. Election fraud seems to be uncommon and the cases I recall have been Pakistani heritage voters, presumably because it's commonplace out there.

What would people without any ID do? There's no legal requirement to have ID in this country unless you drive or want to go abroad.

It's the same as always, the only difference I noticed this year is that the torn, raggy, tattered curtain that used to be over the booths is no more. And the returning officer wouldn't allow anyone near enough to look over your shoulder at your ballot paper.

'siff' I took to be 'sieve' Remember tjilstra is using ESL. He's allowed the occasional mistake. Even though he committed electoral fraud, by voting as his own wife :D

It was not as private either. Anyone could look over my shoulder and see how I was voting.

At my polling station, the ballot box for the European elections was full. Perhaps because the voting slips are about 2 feet long! I couldn't get mine in the slot, and if I had wanted to I could have removed the previous persons slip which was sticking out of the slot.

I told the Officer that the box was full, and his solution was to poke his ruler in the slot then shake the box.

At my polling station, the ballot box for the European elections was full. Perhaps because the voting slips are about 2 feet long! I couldn't get mine in the slot, and if I had wanted to I could have removed the previous persons slip which was sticking out of the slot.

I told the Officer that the box was full, and his solution was to poke his ruler in the slot then shake the box.

Did it work?

Archived