Election Fraud - Why don't we have to show ID?

I looked this up and found that the Electoral Commission have recommended moving to a system of showing ID. It's already required in Northern Ireland -

"We should move to a system where voters are required to produce identification at polling stations. We gathered substantial evidence during our review that the lack of a requirement for ID is both an actual and a perceived weakness in the system. This move would introduce a new requirement for voters casting their ballot in a polling station, and we have considered carefully whether this will deter some voters from taking part. Our conclusion, again based on the evidence we gathered during the review, is that this risk can be managed and that it is therefore right to make this change, for the sake of the benefits it will bring in terms of improving the security of the system. A similar requirement already exists in Northern Ireland, where ID to vote has been required since 2002, as well as in many other countries."

"Electoral fraud in the UK, Final report and recommendations" The Electoral Commission, January 2014

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/164609/Electoral-fraud-review-final-report.pdf

i was surprised by this too - i lost my voting card but had id on me so decided to call in. i offered to show my id but the woman said all i needed to do was say my name and address - i found it incredible that they didn't even want to check some sort of id.

I didn't receive a voting card this time, so I emailed the council who replied, telling me to just turn up. I took I.D. with me, but was told it wasn't needed and I just had to tell them my address. They didn't ask me my name, but read it out and asked if that was me. I'm also taken aback at how easy it must be to defraud the system.

I was more bothered about pencils being provided. I don't trust that nobody along the line could tamper with votes, so I requested a pen, to astonished looks from the polling station volunteers.

There was a pen and a pencil in my booth.

they really should have sorted this out by now. In the 1983 General Election, a friend of mine voted five times, just for the laugh, even though they were only 17. All they did was help themselves to the polling cards that are mailed to multi-occupied households. And then they took the trouble, to get to the polling station early, before the 'real' voter, who does not need a polling card, turned up. And who would find out, that they had already voted.

I think it's mainly because we don't have a standard identity system yet. It'd take too long to check multiple documents & there would be people unable to prove their ID who couldn't vote. Postal voting is another problem.

I am surprised that we still vote with a pencil and paper at a polling station. I think there were some experiments a few years ago, allowing people to vote by text message, online or via the Red Button on their TV. Did that actually happen or am I getting mixed up with X-Factor?

Archived