My tax disc rip off, what shall i do

I almost fell for one of these myself recently when buying a fishing licence. £18 from the Post Office website. £38 from an official sounding third party outfit. I nearly missed the small print that stated the £20 administration fee.

To be honest Jim, the site had all the logo of the Gov website, i knew i was paying more than last year, i just thought the government had decided to increase their charges to make more money, and i couldnt find anywhere on the net to see what the price should have been, and thought it was the official Gov site

To be fair, in the top right corner it says "NOT AFFILIATED OR CONNECTED WITH DVLA or GOV.UK"

and at the bottom of the page it says:

Our service is not connected to or affiliated with the GOV.UK or Driving Vehicle Licence Agency and acts as an agent processing the application.

These services are available from other government sources without the additional service fee.

To be fair, in the top right corner it says "NOT AFFILIATED OR CONNECTED WITH DVLA or GOV.UK"

and at the bottom of the page it says:

Our service is not connected to or affiliated with the GOV.UK or Driving Vehicle Licence Agency and acts as an agent processing the application.

These services are available from other government sources without the additional service fee.

To be fair, it's not as clear as you've written it.

Five quid went to cancer research so it's not the end of the world.

That website does look really similar to the real deal tho.

It's very similar.

The thing is alc, if you click on this page and think it's the real deal, there's no reason to start looking for small prints. It is at the top of google search too (but has the AD symbol next to it). When I renew mine, I write in the text in the address bar that is written on the form, but people are used to using Google for things.

Unless the domain ends in .gov.uk then you shouldn't be using it to buy anything related to the government etc.

The reminder letters etc even tell you the URL to go to.

Archived