Electric Shower Help Needed Please..

Our electric shower keeps cutting out mid-shower and doesn't stay on very long at all. It's currently an "Essentials 8.5" (Wasn't installed by us and don't know how long it has been there)

Was told I need a new shower so I'm looking to get a 10.5 one from B&Q.

Do I need an electrician or plumber to fit this and I know some new cabling may be required?

Any info is much appreciated - Thanks.

Our electric shower keeps cutting out mid-shower and doesn't stay on very long at all. It's currently an "Essentials 8.5" (Wasn't installed by us and don't know how long it has been there)

Was told I need a new shower so I'm looking to get a 10.5 one from B&Q.

Do I need an electrician or plumber to fit this and I know some new cabling may be required?

Any info is much appreciated - Thanks.

Make sure the shower has its own RCD on your breaker board and is fed by either 6 or 10mm cable. Most electric showers are pretty simple to change over but if you've any doubts please contact a qualified electrician.

You need to check your wiring is man enough to take a 10.5kw shower.

or just fit a 8.5Kw version as you know the wiring can take that.

If you're not fiddling with the wiring than a plumber alone can fit the new shower if you don't wanna do it yourself.

A 6mm Twin & Earth cable along with a 32 amp breaker is ok for showers rated up to 7.5Kw

maximum.

If your cable is 6mm and the breaker is 32amp and your using a shower unit rated at 8.5kw, then that's the reason its cutting out - the cable and breaker are not big enough.

An 8.5Kw shower requires the cable to be at least 10mm with a 40 amp breaker.

Fitting an electric shower yourself is not particularly difficult job ( that is the plumbing part )

however, if your not familiar with the electrical side of things, then its advisable to employ an electrician to carry out the rewiring.

Not as straight forward as people make out. I would only put a 8.5 max on a 6mm cable.

Where are the cable and water entry pipes, left, right etc...?

You need to find a shower that has a similar footprint to your current one.

Has someone tiled upto your current one, therefore leaving a hole in the wall so to speak.

Do you know the diff between a 6mm and 10mm cable, i sometimes see 4mm cables.

Archived