'Deep Discontent' so what do you want?

Who is it that benefits from an entire generation of young men being destroyed, our major industrial centres being bombed, GDP being funnelled into nothing but destruction and the economic prosperity of multiple nations being heavily damaged?
Whoever underwrites the "GDP being funnelled into nothing but destruction" and whichever countries do not lose "entire generation of young men being destroyed", do not get their "major industrial centres being bombed", and manufacture the tools for "destruction". It's common sense, really: follow the money :)

Well, if you believe the news on the telly, the politicians are worried. At the meeting of the EU there were calls for change - much of it headed by David Cameron.

How much of this is sound bites that will amount to nothing we'll have to wait and see, but I'm sure they'd like nothing better than to hope we'll forget all about it.

'A week in politics is a long time.' -so said because they know we have short memories and other things will come along to distract us. So I think the secret is to keep up the momentum, the pressure and the scrutiny. Don't let them get away with anything, and keep asking how the desire for change is actually being translated into action.

The problem is that there still seems to be some denial about the level of general discontent with the EU. Whilst it is true that pro-EU parties across Europe secured the most votes, it would be a mistake for them to take that as an endorsement. If they fail to reform now, and wait until the anti-EU vote (people who have completed lost patience) become the majority, then it will be too late for reform because of how slowly the bureaucratic wheels turn.

As it stands I would vote in a reforendum to leave the EU because it is clear we would not even be talking about reform if it wasn't for the threat provided by the anti-EU vote. What would change my mind is if they stopped imposing non-trade laws, reined in costs (by down-sizing and sticking to the core business of trade) and gave countries back control of their borders and immigration policy (we can then have a domestic on that issue!).

It was 20 years ago. The areas where the pits were in bolsover have had money thrown at them. I visit the new units that were built on Markham pit from time to time and nobody who I've spoken with who work there live in bolsover. Other areas have moved on a pace but there are pockets of half wits who think the pits are going to open up again at any time. Not all are halfwits - a mate of mine worked for an it dept in the late 90s and nearly all his work mates were ex miners. But the towns and villages need to move on - Nagasaki recovered quicker.

Coalite though remains a disgrace. I'm not sure who is a fault there but it needs looking at.

Traditional industries? Does he mean the ones that killed men in their thousands like steel and coal mining? Are these the ones he pines after? The ones that gave us lung diseases, vibration white finger?

No man should have to work in those conditions to make a living, thank god they are closed. Give me the obesity problem in the call centre any day.

Yeah and not being born then. But it was exclusive then. All black people could be excluded from housing and jobs. Racism was a social norm. Gay people had to hide away for fear of their career and indeed freedom. Wives could be legally raped by their husbands. Women didn't need to be paid the same. Abortion was illegal. Higher education was for the rich.

But that aside, everyone had the chance to work (in unsafe conditions and retire with a nasty industrial disease). Obviously work was more plentiful after ww2 what with the need to rebuild our major cities.

But yeah apart from that it was a veritable utopia, particularly if you were a rich white man.

Racism is the norm now according to research, and as for sexism, and misogyny well that is gaining more adherents as I write. As you were not born them, you admit you know little and cherry pick what you think will fit your argument, and ignore what was the optimism that fueled perceptions after the end of rationing, which you also did not mention.

Racism is the norm now according to research, and as for sexism, and misogyny well that is gaining more adherents as I write. As you were not born them, you admit you know little and cherry pick what you think will fit your argument, and ignore what was the optimism that fueled perceptions after the end of rationing, which you also did not mention.

Where you around in the 1940s and 50s then?

Were you born then?

Where's all my free stuff I asked for? I thought I'd be ENTITLED to it by now.

������

Everything which you came into this world with is free, All else has to be earned- That includes Respect.

Archived