Time to ban Chinese lanterns.

Im not disagreeing with you about Chinese lanterns, but the photo in the link is taken from here...

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=794003&pageID=3

An article from 2012, about a horse that was deliberately doused in an unknown accelerant and set on fire in Ohio. The poor things burns were nothing to do with Chinese lanterns.

Don't wanna click that link but I bet it links to that unfortunate horse. I don't see how they can be banned since you can make your own, but there's no doubt they can cause trouble

Im not disagreeing with you about Chinese lanterns, but the photo in the link is from here...

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=794003&pageID=3

A story of a horse in 2012 in Ohio, that deliberately doused in an unknown accelerant and set on fire.

Cheers Nikki. Should have known better than to trust anything on Facebook really.

Here are 5 genuine good reasons though. I absolutely hate the bloody things. I've even found them out on the Kinder plateau ! :mad:

I didn't think the lanterns came down until they'd run out of hot air. That is, weren't alight any more? Just wondering how that small amount of propellant could actually set anything majorly on fire.

We've had a few stuck in our garden trees in the past and never had any of them burned.

Are you going to tell her it's a hoax, mega? She seemed really upset about it, poor lass.

I didn't think the lanterns came down until they'd run out of hot air. That is, weren't alight any more? Just wondering how that small amount of propellant could actually set anything majorly on fire.

We've had a few stuck in our garden trees in the past and never had any of them burned.

Are you going to tell her it's a hoax, mega? She seemed really upset about it, poor lass.

Not quite true, take a look at this site.

http://news.sky.com/story/1110687/smethwick-fire-cctv-of-lantern-at-factory

That one it is claimed caused about £6 million of damage

Like the blaze down at Attercliffe last summer in that 'recycling' plant, why are vast quantities of flammable material allowed to sit outside like that where any stray spark could ignite it?

Seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

We bought some for a party last year. The first one was launched and gathering height when the envelope caught fire about a minute after release. It fell into some trees and continued to burn for 5-10 minutes. We didn't launch any more.

Sorry for removing your link megalithic. The image on the link wasn't particularly pleasant but the major reason for removing it was that it was used inappropriately.

Whether the particular image used was actually that of an animal set alight is neither here nor there though, to be honest. I disagree with the use of Chinese lanterns and balloon releases, if only because what goes up has to come down and when it comes down it will leave something which could be harmful to animals which step on, breathe in or get tangled in the remains.

The wire frames are apparently rather hazardous to cow's feet and to their digestions if it falls in their food, and I fail to see what is so important about releasing them that warrants ignoring the damage to animals at the other end.

Sorry for removing your link megalithic. The image on the link wasn't particularly pleasant but the major reason for removing it was that it was used inappropriately.

Whether the particular image used was actually that of an animal set alight is neither here nor there though, to be honest. I disagree with the use of Chinese lanterns and balloon releases, if only because what goes up has to come down and when it comes down it will leave something which could be harmful to animals which step on, breathe in or get tangled in the remains.

The wire frames are apparently rather hazardous to cow's feet and to their digestions if it falls in their food, and I fail to see what is so important about releasing them that warrants ignoring the damage to animals at the other end.

No worries, would have done so myself but i was worried it would mess up the thread. totally agree with all your points too, it's no better than dropping fast food packaging, or any other rubbish, imo.

Archived