Lady Bower, Derwent Dam Rhododendron Massacre! Why? :(

Evenin Everyone

Had a trip out to Lady Bower/Derwent Dam recently, hoping to see the Rhododendrons flowering.

Was horrified to find that there has been clearfelling of all the rhodis!! :cry:

Has anyone else seen this?

Does anyone know why? Or who to ask about it?

:help:

Thanks guys

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

Evenin Everyone

Had a trip out to Lady Bower/Derwent Dam recently, hoping to see the Rhododendrons flowering.

Was horrified to find that there has been clearfelling of all the rhodis!! :cry:

Has anyone else seen this?

Does anyone know why? Or who to ask about it?

:help:

Thanks guys

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

It might be because they are a non native invasive species, we wouldn't want them out competing our native species into extinction.

Quite possibly, there are a few non native invasive species in the UK and there are systems in place to keep them in check.
agreed the roma need thinning out but regarding the

Rhododendrons i think the plant itself is poisonous eureka feed it to the above

We'll have less plans to poison people please.

I would assume it's got to do with quite how invasive and hard to eradicate these plants are. They can occupy huge spaces, taking up all of the moisture and killing all of the undergrowth.

We'll have less plans to poison people please.

I would assume it's got to do with quite how invasive and hard to eradicate these plants are. They can occupy huge spaces, taking up all of the moisture and killing all of the undergrowth.

in a nut shell :hihi:

I thought for one minute we were getting back onto the Roma :hihi:

---------- Post added 24-05-2014 at 21:06 ----------

Who ever is killing these plants because they are not native here should not be surprised if someone pulls the race card on them :)

My pet hate is the sycamore tree, I would saw the lot down tomorrow, they take over everything.

Archived