Lady Bower, Derwent Dam Rhododendron Massacre! Why? :(

I don't to understand why rhodedendrons* can't be left to stand in the areas that they have colonised, because of their great beauty, especially at this time of year when they're a mass of purple and pink flowers.

Can they not just be confined to the areas they currently occupy?

The problem is government and non-government agencies who want to control, manage and regulate the countryside. Often they have no understanding of what people like and try to fit the countryside into some idyllic time long ago when it was all natural. A time that hasn't existed in this country for thousands of years.

I don't to understand why rhodedendrons* can't be left to stand in the areas that they have colonised, because of their great beauty, especially at this time of year when they're a mass of purple and pink flowers.

The problem is government and non-government agencies who want to control, manage and regulate the countryside. Often they have no understanding of what people like and try to fit the countryside into some idyllic time long ago when it was all natural. A time that hasn't existed in this country for thousands of years.

Its a good job those people are not in charge of immigration, just think of all the lovely coloured shell suits that we would be missing out on :hihi:

Evenin Everyone

Had a trip out to Lady Bower/Derwent Dam recently, hoping to see the Rhododendrons flowering.

Was horrified to find that there has been clearfelling of all the rhodis!! :cry:

Has anyone else seen this?

Does anyone know why? Or who to ask about it?

:help:

Thanks guys

Love

As Always

Sol

:)

The Upper Derwent Valley Reservoirs were created to provide a valuable source of drinking water for towns, both near and far.

Although they have also become areas of beauty and attractive for leisure pursuits, water capture and storage is still their prime function.

Part of the attraction of the area are the forests and woodlands on the slopes surrounding the reservoirs. These were not planted for their aesthetic qualities, but to control the run-off, minimise erosion of the slopes and reduce silting of the reservoirs.

As such, forest/woodland management is a major component of reservoir upkeep. Such plantations need to be felled and replanted in a strictly controlled fashion and the aggressively invasive rhododendron must be removed when considering the growth of other species on that site.

Don't worry too much. The rhododendron is so successful, it will never be totally eradicated from the area and you will see it blooming around the lakes.

The reservoirs are managed by Severn Trent Water Authority and a first point of contact that could answer your questions could be The Upper Derwent Visitor Centre at Fairholmes:

Email: upperderwentvalley@severntrent.co.uk

Tel: 01433 650953

I completely agree with you Nagel

It was very upsetting to see such wholesale destruction :(

I LOVE rhododendron!

---------- Post added 26-05-2014 at 17:11 ----------

The Upper Derwent Valley Reservoirs were created to provide a valuable source of drinking water for towns, both near and far.

Although they have also become areas of beauty and attractive for leisure pursuits, water capture and storage is still their prime function.

Part of the attraction of the area are the forests and woodlands on the slopes surrounding the reservoirs. These were not planted for their aesthetic qualities, but to control the run-off, minimise erosion of the slopes and reduce silting of the reservoirs.

As such, forest/woodland management is a major component of reservoir upkeep. Such plantations need to be felled and replanted in a strictly controlled fashion and the aggressively invasive rhododendron must be removed when considering the growth of other species on that site.

Don't worry too much. The rhododendron is so successful, it will never be totally eradicated from the area and you will see it blooming around the lakes.

The reservoirs are managed by Severn Trent Water Authority and a first point of contact that could answer your questions could be The Upper Derwent Visitor Centre at Fairholmes:

Email: upperderwentvalley@severntrent.co.uk

Tel: 01433 650953

Thanks Cgk :)

---------- Post added 26-05-2014 at 17:12 ----------

I don't know but I can just imagine Mort, drooling, with her finger poised to drop on her banzor button:suspect::roll:

Oh this made me laugh mumkin! I'm glad Mort's antic's don't go unnoticed by me alone ;)

As others have said, they're too invasive and wipe out biodiversity in areas they colonise. It's great to see non-native trees being removed and replaced around reservoirs such as moore hall, damflask, agden etc. I believe fast-growing species were required when the dams were first built to stabilise the banks, but now we can move to more natural coverage which is great for wildlife.

The flowers look pretty at certain times of year but personally I think a natural woodland complete with wildlife and a variety of other flowers (snowdrops, bluebells, foxgloves and loads more I don't know the names of) throughout the season is nicer, which is hopefully where these areas are headed to. Where the rhododendrons have badly colonised that's all you get, them and nothing else.

Archived