Salvation Army / Victoria Street

Anyone on here that used to live in Victoria Street during the mid-1950's - mid- 1960's and remembers near to Christmas when the Salvation Army band use to gather at the bottom of the street opposite Turners Grocery shop ?

If Yes, do you also remember the cold winters we use to have when snow was on the ground and icicles over eighteen inches long use to hang from the roof guttering of the back to back houses.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 00:17 ----------

Can't believe that people who use to live in neighbouring streets don't remember this.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone on here that used to live in Victoria Street during the mid-1950's - mid- 1960's and remembers near to Christmas when the Salvation Army band use to gather at the bottom of the street opposite Turners Grocery shop ?

If Yes, do you also remember the cold winters we use to have when snow was on the ground and icicles over eighteen inches long use to hang from the roof guttering of the back to back houses.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 00:17 ----------

Can't believe that people who use to live in neighbouring streets don't remember this.

hiya, don't remember salvation army on victoria st as we had our own on bath st. do remember the berry's who lived in the yard by the side of the second hand shop on broomspring lane the daughter was a salvationist but not on bath st.

Hello willybite,

Having lived in Victoria Street from being born up until the houses were demolished, and having family who lived in Broomspring Lane I think I can safely say that I knew the area pretty well.

I cannot remember there ever being a secondhand shop on Broomspring Lane.......

At the bottom of Broomspring Lane opposite Springfiled School, there was: a sweet shop then next door a fruit shop, next door to that a butcher's.

A bit further up on the same side, there was a cobbler's which then was turned into something else -but unfortunately I forget what sort of shop it was ( over 50 years ago ).

JOHN HABS

Hello willybite,

Having lived in Victoria Street from being born up until the houses were demolished, and having family who lived in Broomspring Lane I think I can safely say that I knew the area pretty well.

I cannot remember there ever being a secondhand shop on Broomspring Lane.......

At the bottom of Broomspring Lane opposite Springfiled School, there was: a sweet shop then next door a fruit shop, next door to that a butcher's.

A bit further up on the same side, there was a cobbler's which then was turned into something else -but unfortunately I forget what sort of shop it was ( over 50 years ago ).

JOHN HABS

hiya,

if you start at the bottom of victoria st there were two or three houses that were set back where a ted smith lived, the second hand shop was next to these houses then came a yard where the berry's lived, then a shop on the corner of gell st,i know this was how it was set as we passed it once a week to go to st marks hall for indoor pt from springfield school, this was before your time in the late 40s early 50s, a pair of football boots well worn mind you were half a crown,

the shops opposite the school when i was little was hughes beer off later knocked down, lockwoods sweet shop, ??????????????, hoggs butcher, further up was mrs ibbotsons chip shop. then a cobblers, this was over 65 years ago

having seen a photo of broomspring lane taken from springfield school in the distance just after Victoria st you can see what was a blank wall that was the second hand shop. I remember three, there was websters on the corner of Thomas st, and another opposite Monmouth st, perhaps when you were growing up in the 50s things had altered quite a lot, I know in the 40s families around there would wait for the rag and bone man to rummage through his wares. I know I had my first two wheeler bike from one.

Archived