£30M of UK child benefit goes to EU families

Depends on the income level.

I'm an EU worker, but we haven't qualified for child benefit since April 2013 (IIRC).

But, if your income was lower?

You should be eligible for Child Tax Credits though?

Something that needs to be clear, is that the same rules do not apply across the EU.

A minority of countries pay CHB to resident employed, regardless of the residence of the child.

The majority of countries require children to be resident before paying CHB.

Nothing wrong with us changing our law. Is there?

They used to but they don't now, and personally I would get rid of it all together or at the very least stop non British workers receiving it.

I know it's dependant on income, but everyone is still eligible.

Is the UK the only country that pays child benefit to workers from another country?

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:10 ----------

Something that needs to be clear, is that the same rules do not apply across the EU.

A minority of countries pay CHB to resident employed, regardless of the residence of the child.

Doesn't the current system encourage people to come to the UK for work though?

If you pay into the system, you get the benefits that come with being a hard working citizen?

Before anyone jumps on this, I'm aware that people come to the UK, and claim these benefits without working. However, that's a different thread all together.

Before anyone jumps on this, I'm aware that people come to the UK, and claim these benefits without working. However, that's a different thread all together.

No immigrants can come to the UK and claim benefits without working.

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 08:14 ----------

No,but if it means that the EU or immigrants can take the blame,that is more preferable than changing the law,or the UK government would have done it.

So the fact there is a headline is enough to want to change policy? Seems a good way to run the country.

No, I didn't say that, he fact that it would be more fair is the reason to change it.

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:18 ----------

I might be being a bit nieve, but how does paying benefits to a person that's entitled to them (wherever they live), mean the UK is losing out?

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 07:26 ----------

The child's parent is just as important as you are to the UK, surely? Other than having a family in the UK, the parent works, lives, Eats, drinks, pays taxes, entertains himself in the UK.

I don't see why that means tha the UK becomes responsible for helping to bring up a child that is not British and is not in the UK.

Surely that child remains the responsibility of the state to which it belongs and/or lives in.

I know it's dependant on income, but everyone is still eligible.

Is the UK the only country that pays child benefit to workers from another country?

Some do and some don't, some will only pay it to their citizens living in their country.

Doesn't the current system encourage people to come to the UK for work though?

It would be better to encourage our unemployed to work, and we shouldn't offer benefits to encourage immigration.

If you pay into the system, you get the benefits that come with being a hard working citizen?

Some of the people that work very hard and pay the most into the system don't benefit from it, whilst some pay very little or nothing into the system do benefit from it. UK benefits system should be a fail safe for British people not immigrants.

I don't see why that means tha the UK becomes responsible for helping to bring up a child that is not British and is not in the UK.

Surely that child remains the responsibility of the state to which it belongs and/or lives in.

But the money to raise the child is coming from the UK. In a way, it's like reducing that person's income, just because they haven't moved their entire family to the UK.

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:32 ----------

Some do and some don't, some will only pay it to their citizens living in their country.

It would be better to encourage our unemployed to work, and we shouldn't offer benefits to encourage immigration.

Some of the people that work very hard and pay the most into the system don't benefit from it, whilst some pay very little or nothing into the system do benefit from it. UK benefits system should be a fail safe for British people not immigrants.

What would you rather them do? Bring the whole family over here?

We've been trying to encourage out unemployed to work for years. The fact is, many British people don't want to clean cars, drive taxies, or study at university for almost a decade to become a fully qualified surgeon and earn a six figure salary for saving peoples lives on a daily basis.

But the money to raise the child is coming from the UK. In a way, it's like reducing that person's income, just because they haven't moved their entire family to the UK.

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:32 ----------

What would you rather them do? Bring the whole family over here?

We've been trying to encourage out unemployed to work for years. The fact is, many British people don't want to clean cars, drive taxies, or study at university for almost a decade to become a fully qualified surgeon and earn a six figure salary for saving peoples lives on a daily basis.

[sarcasm]But giving immigrant workers the same rights as British workers is beyond reasonable.[/sarcasm]

This whole story is simply another means for the EU bashers to taunt people that come here and work for a living.

Archived