£30M of UK child benefit goes to EU families

I think I pretty much had it with these threads even though I don't come here often. Same old rubbish, same old players...

1st, 2nd or 3rd generation migrants arguing SOME sense and then the UKIP army slamming it down with the same old tiresome rhetoric.

Particularly that Zamo guy which never ever makes any sense. Wish there was an IGNORE button next to his posts.

Nothing personal just sick of blatant stinking xenophobia and the blaming EU for rubbish British politics.

Get over yourself, go to work, you'll have less time to spend here vomiting your lack of comfort to anything foreign. Be productive. Outclass the foreigners who could "steal" your job.

What would you rather them do? Bring the whole family over here?

Stay in their own country unless they can afford to support themselves and their family.

We've been trying to encourage out unemployed to work for years. The fact is, many British people don't want to clean cars, drive taxies, or study at university for almost a decade to become a fully qualified surgeon and earn a six figure salary for saving peoples lives on a daily basis.

No we haven't, we have encouraged them to become dependent by paying them too much in benefits.

Stay in their own country unless they can afford to support themselves and their family.

Why should we have one rule for people coming into Britain, and another for British people wanting to work abroad? Should we ban Brits from working overseas? I'm pretty sure that millions of British go abroad to other countries to find work. If that country pays them child benefits, should they refuse them?

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:53 ----------

No we haven't, we have encouraged them to become dependent by paying them too much in benefits.

I disagree. When I was living with my parents and was unemployed, I claimed JSA for several months. After my money went in the bank, I'd spent it all before the weekend was over.

Why should we have one rule for people coming into Britain, and another for British people wanting to work abroad? Should we ban Brits from working overseas? I'm pretty sure that millions of British go abroad to other countries to find work. If that country pays them child benefits, should they refuse them?

Each country should make their own rules, I'm only interested in the rules which apply to people living and working in the UK, what Germany, Spain, Romania want to do is their business. And whilst I am happy with some immigration to the UK, I think it is too high and I also don't think Immigrants should qualify for UK benefits.

---------- Post added 28-05-2014 at 09:56 ----------

I disagree. When I was living with my parents and was unemployed, I claimed JSA for several months. After my money went in the bank, I'd spent it all before the weekend was over.

You should look at the big picture and not base your opinion on your personal experience.

And what did you spend it on?

Each country should make their own rules, I'm only interested in the rules which apply to people living and working in the UK, what Germany, Spain, Romania want to do is their business. And whilst I am happy with some immigration to the UK, I think it is too high and I also don't think Immigrants should qualify for UK benefits.

Why would the UK take their money what they pay into the pot and get nothing out of it?...........why should immigrants subsidse the UK unemployed for instance?

You should look at the big picture and not base your opinion on your personal experience.

The amount of times I've said that to you on other threads!:hihi:

And what did you spend it on?

Why does that matter?

Are you saying that me and my partner shouldn't get tax-credits over my income despite the fact that we massively over-pay the government for what we get back in return?

Are you suggesting that all we should do is shut up and pay for the right to live in this pleasant land - a right with no rights compared to the British?

But the money to raise the child is coming from the UK. In a way, it's like reducing that person's income, just because they haven't moved their entire family to the UK.

The decision to go and earn money abroad is one the family have made. I don't see how that makes the UK responsible for the child that is not in the UK and isn't a UK citizen.

It's not like reducing their income at all, unless you start from a position of assuming that they are entitled to that income.

What would you rather them do? Bring the whole family over here?

Possibly. That's another decision they're free to make.

We've been trying to encourage out unemployed to work for years. The fact is, many British people don't want to clean cars, drive taxies, or study at university for almost a decade to become a fully qualified surgeon and earn a six figure salary for saving peoples lives on a daily basis.

An odd choice of things people don't want to do. Courses to learn medicine are over subscribed every year. The problem regarding Drs is that the government refuse to pay for universities to create more places for students.

Are you saying that me and my partner shouldn't get tax-credits over my income despite the fact that we massively over-pay the government for what we get back in return?

Are you suggesting that all we should do is shut up and pay for the right to live in this pleasant land - a right with no rights compared to the British?

Funny how we are quite happy to 'dig deep' when Comic Relief and Sport Relief pull on our heart strings when it comes to children in Africa.

But, if your income was lower?

You should be eligible for Child Tax Credits though?

If my income was lower, indeed I would.

As it happens, I don't mind (although I am still miffed at the way it's been done: we don't get them because of my income and my Mrs is stay-at-home, but neighbours with a higher combined income still get them, because neither of them is above the cut-off threshold).

That's exactly what he's saying.

...then Zamo wondered why, if this situation came to be (as an eventual consequence of a UK exit), I'd choose to give the UK the rods and go subsidise another country :hihi:

The decision to go and earn money abroad is one the family have made. I don't see how that makes the UK responsible for the child that is not in the UK and isn't a UK citizen.
It's the UK benefits and tax credit system which makes "the UK responsible for the child that is not in the UK and isn't a UK citizen", not the family decision for an immigrant worker to come and work here.

It's not like reducing their income at all, unless you start from a position of assuming that they are entitled to that income.
Per the above, it's the UK benefits and tax credit system which entitles the worker to the foreign-paid benefits in question. There's no need to assume anything.

If you want to put an end to it, change the domestic system. There might be a fair bit of collateral damage, though. But hey-ho.

Archived