£30M of UK child benefit goes to EU families

So let's say I am working in the UK for the summer months, teaching kids Spanish. The tax system allows me to claim child benefit but I rather have the kids raised in Spain, should I not claim the child benefit? Of course I should, I am working here.

We are talking about 55 million here, less than one can win in the Euromillion lottery on a good night.

Another example of: Let's blame Europe! MASS HYSTERIA!!! PANIC!!!

Get real.

---------- Post added 27-05-2014 at 16:24 ----------

And he is quite right, it is a universal right that transfers across the EU, it comes with the play-ground. The only reason Cameron wants to abolish it is because he thinks it looks bad in the Daily Mail, if instead he'd just do his job properly and explain why the system works the way it is, he wouldn't have a problem.

There you go again assuming that every one that disagrees with it doesn't understand it, well I do and I disagree with it.

So what you are saying is that Spain should cough up the child benefit as well as lose the income from the Spanish worker so that the UK can fill a vacancy without having the expenses associated with it?

This spat could well end up more expensive for the UK by the way, if this is one of the things that Cameron wants to renegotiate, than fine, the other nations will actually be relieved. It is estimated that for the 600K economically inactive EU immigrants in the UK there are some 950K economically inactive Brits in the EU. Guess who is going to end up paying for them?

Being economically inactive doesn't mean they need benefits.

---------- Post added 27-05-2014 at 18:08 ----------

Just to point out that your link refers to all immigrants, not EU immigrants and is therefore completely unrelated to the topic.

All immigrants must include EU immigrants therefor it is relevant.

Being economically inactive doesn't mean they need benefits.

Have you seen the plight of many expat Brits in Spain? When Spain got into financial difficulties the value of their houses collapsed and they cannot sell and get out back to the UK. Now they are are older and have medical problems who picks up the bill? Not them or us it's the Spanish government.

Have you seen the plight of many expat Brits in Spain? When Spain got into financial difficulties the value of their houses collapsed and they cannot sell and get out back to the UK. Now they are are older and have medical problems who picks up the bill? Not them or us it's the Spanish government.

No, they can get free treatment or pay reduced cost towards medical problems if the took out the EU medical insurance.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx

That might not be the case.

Thousands of British expats who have taken early retirement in Spain will now have to get private health insurance following the UK government’s decision to scrap free access to their local Spanish health care system.

The recent problems in Spain where refusal to recognise the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), which gives entitlement to free healthcare, has seen many European tourists having to unexpectedly pay their own medical costs.

Expatriates who retire early to Spain are to have a UK government scheme to pay for their healthcare scrapped.

British tourists denied free care by Spanish hospitals.

Thought you'd get free care if you fell sick in Spain? Britons held hostage by foreign hospitals

The European Commission is launching legal action against Spain over the refusal of some hospitals to recognise the European Health Insurance Card.

A recent spate of stories about foreigners being refused medical treatment in Spain has drawn attention to the ways in which Spain's health-care system is being squeezed by austerity measures.

There you go again assuming that every one that disagrees with it doesn't understand it, well I do and I disagree with it.

Good, so uhmmm can you explain where I assumed that everybody disagreeing doesn't understand it? All I am assuming is that there is a lot of people that take this sort of crap at face-value without knowing what they are talking about and instead use it to wave their little Union Jacks hissing at the EU. Typical of you to generalise that to everybody.

Good, so uhmmm can you explain where I assumed that everybody disagreeing doesn't understand it? All I am assuming is that there is a lot of people that take this sort of crap at face-value without knowing what they are talking about and instead use it to wave their little Union Jacks hissing at the EU. Typical of you to generalise that to everybody.

Yes you said it here.

And he is quite right, it is a universal right that transfers across the EU, it comes with the play-ground. The only reason Cameron wants to abolish it is because he thinks it looks bad in the Daily Mail, if instead he'd just do his job properly and explain why the system works the way it is, he wouldn't have a problem.

You are implying that people don't understand and that is the reason they voted UKIP. How many UKIP voters to you know personalty, and how many of them have told you they don't understand.

Yes you said it here.

You are implying that people don't understand and that is the reason they voted UKIP. How many UKIP voters to you know personalty, and how many of them have told you they don't understand.

If you reach just a bit further you can accuse me of the kidnap of the Nigerian school girls. :loopy:

Archived