Mr miliband and the bacon sarni

Yes Mr Milliband is Jewish, but he may have taken a bite like it says to show "he's a man of the people"; he has to be very diplomatic not to upset people hence doing this (just a thought).

I'd make the same faces eating a marmite sandwich (sorry Alcoblog)

Wouldn't that upset the Muslims.

Wouldn't that upset the Muslims.

Being a man of the people, or eating a bacon sarnie? I don't think either would upset Muslims - or perhaps he was eating a bacon sarnie because, wait for it: he actually enjoys a bacon sarnie!

Miliband is Jewish. Whether he is an atheist or not, is irrelevant. Judaism does not pass down in the male line so what his father and grandfather were matters a lot less than the fact that Miliband's mother, who is still living, is Jewish that means Miliband is Jewish too. Unless he converts to something else, like Disraeli supposedly did. Which as an atheist, Miliband cannot.

What if Miliband's mum is an atheist? Which she is, Ed was brought up in an atheist household and I presume he's an atheist too.

The only way he could be said to be Jewish is ethnically, which is only a part of being Jewish.

There's a Jewish farmer in the Cotswolds who makes pork sausages. I've had them and they're amongst the best I've ever tasted :)

http://jewishnews.co.uk/its-kosher-bacon-meet-the-jewish-pig-farmer/

http://www.todenhammanorfarm.co.uk/ourpeople.htm

What if Miliband's mum is an atheist? Which she is, Ed was brought up in an atheist household and I presume he's an atheist too.

The only way he could be said to be Jewish is ethnically, which is only a part of being Jewish.

[/url]

no even if his mom is not religous or even an atheist, then he is still Jewish. Even though he was not brought up in any way religously and didn't even I think have a bar mitzvah, when your mother, even if she is an atheist, is Jewish then you are basically stuck with it. And Miliband himself has declared himself Jewish. How can he not feel his Jewishness. His grandfather died in a concentration camp in the Holocaust. As a kid he went to Tel Aviv where his grandmother lived, to meet her. People can sometimes say Karl Marx was Jewish, but Marx wasn't, and not because his father converted (even though he came from a line of religous rabbis). Karl Marx was not Jewish, because his mother, unlike Ed's, was not.

Ed Milliband, although of Jewish descent, claims to be an atheist (so he can eat what the hell he likes!). Still, I agree, it was a very stupid idea by his publicity people to put him in that situation and make him look even dorkier.

What he 'claims' is irrelevant. As blake has just posted: if he was born to a mother who's Jewish, he is too- irrespective.

it's a bit of a joke among Jewish people. If your mother is Jewish, then you are basically stuck with it. There's nothing you can do. And if you are an atheist or communist then that only makes it worse, because you can't in good conscience convert to Christianity or something else, to 'escape'.

'Joke' or not, it is how Jewish law immutably stands. Hence the obligation to abide by its legal requirements, not by voluntarily accepting them but by virtue of their binding nature.

If you are going to follow the law to that extent, stoning for adultery would still be applicable. Who changed that man or God?

If you are going to follow the law to that extent, stoning for adultery would still be applicable. Who changed that man or God?

Er, no. The law to which you refer was virtually never operable, given the extraordinary lengths to which the Sanhedrin went in seeking any mitigating factors.

Archived