A 'PROJECT' for the recently and early retired!

An aquintance of ours and his wife, have bought and 1950's bungalow which needs rather a lot of work doing to it. It seems to be their 'project'. This has set me thinking and I wonder if most early retired people/couples need a project to keep them busy now working is a thing of the past for them. Obviously there might be family commitments. So, my question to you all is......what would your 'project' be?

Geez... I bet this is a bit of a downer for those actually contemplating retirement:

Read this thread and meet generation - we will have to pay forever :(

If you rephrase the question - do you have a need for a project in life than the answer is unequivocally YES on my behalf. We are definitely going to build our own house and as soon as I can work fewer hours I will be investing in a sailing-boat to sail the Western European coast with.

Do it now. My folks planned on doing all sorts after they retired. My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's and died after a long battle and didn't get to a fraction of the places they wanted to.

I'm 35, I have to save money first! Owning a house and two cars is expensive enough :)

Each to their own tim,I enjoy working and my work takes me to a different house most days.If the person there is retired I always ask how they are finding retiring,most recently retired say its great not having to get up and stay at work all day.The ones that have been retired for years that are healthy enough usually stay with you chatting ,some even offer to help and they say they are bored to death and that retirement is ok at first but they miss not working.

Each to their own tim,I enjoy working and my work takes me to a different house most days.If the person there is retired I always ask how they are finding retiring,most recently retired say its great not having to get up and stay at work all day.The ones that have been retired for years that are healthy enough usually stay with you chatting ,some even offer to help and they say they are bored to death and that retirement is ok at first but they miss not working.

Pleased to hear you are positive about carrying on working! I have to agree though, on the one hand I can't wait to not have the drags of having to work and have some freedom, on the other hand I can definitely imagine it gets boring very rapidly.

Everyone needs a purpose on life however old to motivate them to get up in the morning. Work and the need to provide can be that purpose. Better to plan ahead though and be able to have a purpose that's more fulfilling in retirement than just working on. Read "The Richest Man in Babylon" for advice on how to make it happen. I'm not planning to work after 55 at the latest.

Archived