Are you going to get a driverless car?

So its got a driver then?:D

In reference to the article about a driverless "self driving" car, my idea of hiring a driver means you won't have to drive thus achieving the same thing as if it were a "driverless" car from the perspective of the owner now being able to sit in comfort as a passenger instead of a driver. I win!

Would your other half have a say about it? ;)

Because I know exactly what my other half would tell me...and I can't post it on a family-friendly forum :hihi:

In answer to OP: no, and hell no.

I don't think she'd be that bothered, it's not like she can't use my car, and there are definitely times when we'd both rather not drive.

Since making my previous comment I've seen the details of "this" driverless car, and I have to say, I wouldn't have one of this model. It's too slow and it only has 2 seats.

If it did 70 mph, or even 60, then I'd be happy. I can't spend 10 hrs not driving instead of 4 though on a long journey, the not driving bit is convenient, but taking nearly 3 times as long, that's a fail.

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 08:14 ----------

Good until some pillock in an Audi veers across three lanes and cuts you up attempting to take an exit???

Because a computer with radar, laser and visual systems that can see in 360 degrees to 'spot' the driver is somehow incapable of a manoeuvre that you could do?

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 08:18 ----------

Just hire a driver and hey presto, you're technically in a driverless car. I've never understood why people drive their own cars. Aside from the obvious manual labour, driving ones own car is such a false economy. Think about how much time and how much work you could have done in your mobile office. You would have earned far more than the minimum wage paid to the driver. Common sense.

Presumably you have to pay your driver to work full time though. He's not going to hang around at your house waiting to drive you, if you only pay him for the time on the road.

In fact, you're going to have to have more than one. Unless you limit your driving to normal working hours.

A lot of days I'd need a driver available between 0700 and 2200, although maybe not during office hours...

It'd probably be cheaper to use taxi's at the end of the day.

Good question Mikes10. The answer is yes but only when they are proven safe and reliable. They are without doubt the future of transport as the population increases. London currently has an average road speed of 8 mph and is totally clogged traffic wise as are many large cities, not to mention all the pollution created. The luxury of owning and running your own car will not last much longer as people will be priced out of the market and car ownership will be the preserve of the rich. The question is though, will ownership be private or will these vehicles be on a shared lease scheme, a public HS3 if you like where you just call up a pod, type in a destination and the vehicle arrives outside your door? Like computers, the internet and mobile telephones, these new vehicles will transform our lives (again).

Good question Mikes10. The answer is yes but only when they are proven safe and reliable. They are without doubt the future of transport as the population increases. London currently has an average road speed of 8 mph and is totally clogged traffic wise as are many large cities, not to mention all the pollution created. The luxury of owning and running your own car will not last much longer as people will be priced out of the market and car ownership will be the preserve of the rich. The question is though, will ownership be private or will these vehicles be on a shared lease scheme, a public HS3 if you like where you just call up a pod, type in a destination and the vehicle arrives outside your door? Like computers, the internet and mobile telephones, these new vehicles will transform our lives (again).

Isn't that just like calling for a taxi, except that a robot is doing the job instead of someone being employed?

When do we see the early signs of people being priced out of car ownership, last I saw the cost of buying a car was cheaper than ever (in inflation adjusted terms).

Isn't that just like calling for a taxi, except that a robot is doing the job instead of someone being employed?
That's how I read it too.

I enjoy driving too much to ever consider the option.

Just taken the MX-5 out of hibernation today. Garaged it in early Nov 2013, first cranked last Monday (boo-hiss, I know - it said yes on 3rd go :D), first drive out of the garage to the MOT station this morning, passed 1st time with no advisories.

16 years old last February, and as usual complimented by Mr Wainwright for its condition. 82kmiles, completely standard throughout, never changed anything else mechanically than filters, brakes pads and tyres (and belts of course). Admittedly it's cost a bit to maintain the body (rust in usual wheel arch spots, trolley dents, stone chips)...but not thousands, far from it.

Re. cost of buying, again Cyclone is spot-on: you wouldn't buy that car with that pedigree, provenance and condition at its true value (which I would place conservatively at around £3,5 to £4k - it's been a daily for a long time, never been a garage queen which would fetch higher still), most anyone (bar a collector) would pay is £2k-£2,5k.

Driverless cars? Ya can keep them :D

Now, for a bit of sun...and selling the Impreza (can't be doing with 3 cars, impractical where we are), I'll put an ad on here shortly ;)

Archived