Small bowel study with barium meal?

Small bowel study with barium meal has anyone ever had one? ive got to have on in a couple of weeks...picolax the night before then day of the test a chalky drink :/

as a chrones sufferer i have had a pipe up and down most orifices the procedure you are having is a walk in the park,worst one is the camera down the gullet,endiscope or something the spelling police will correct it.

as a chrones sufferer i have had a pipe up and down most orifices the procedure you are having is a walk in the park,worst one is the camera down the gullet,endiscope or something the spelling police will correct it.

Ive already had a gastroscopy that was horrendous for me as the sedation didnt work. Whats the chalky drink like they make you have? and how much?

It has to be some sort of X-ray study, so it's not going to be invasive or painful. Barium is opaque to X-rays so it will show up your bowel after drinking some sort of barium based liquid. The small bowel is the one directly following your stomach.

Ive already had a gastroscopy that was horrendous for me as the sedation didnt work. Whats the chalky drink like they make you have? and how much?

i had strawberry/pink stuff and some other stuff that makes you fart like a trooper on the way to the toilet after.Its nothing to worry about the pink stuff is easy to swallow and tastes like cheap kids sweets,the table you are fixed too moves to get the barium around the bends best of luck hope your results come back fine

i had strawberry/pink stuff and some other stuff that makes you fart like a trooper on the way to the toilet after.Its nothing to worry about the pink stuff is easy to swallow and tastes like cheap kids sweets,the table you are fixed too moves to get the barium around the bends best of luck hope your results come back fine

I had a barium meal about 30 years ago, remember the pink chalky drink, but before that they gave me a handful of little pellets to swallow. As you say for rest of day I was hic, burp, fart, hic, burp, fart.

The one down throat gastroscopy is awful I've had 6 now, and 2 up the harris, when I had my last gastroscopy I ended up with internal bleeding.

I endup up having an endoscopy still down the throat but goes in deeper, where the bleeding was cauterised & clamped. I was also taken off aspirin as it weakens the wall of the stomach lining.

I can get used to the trumping i often trump uncontrollably some days anyways lol. How long did you test take in total? did you have the picolax as well the night before? I hope i manage it okay i have a strong gag reflex to things that dont taste nice.

---------- Post added 29-05-2014 at 17:04 ----------

I had a barium meal about 30 years ago, remember the pink chalky drink, but before that they gave me a handful of little pellets to swallow. As you say for rest of day I was hic, burp, fart, hic, burp, fart.

The one down throat gastroscopy is awful I've had 6 now, and 2 up the harris, when I had my last gastroscopy I ended up with internal bleeding.

I endup up having an endoscopy still down the throat but goes in deeper, where the bleeding was cauterised & clamped. I was also taken off aspirin as it weakens the wall of the stomach lining.

ohhh pellets tasty. Yes gastroscopy is awful and was for me the sedation didnt work and yes it was vile. How much chalky drink do they expect you to have? did it make you feel sick?

Hi Sunblock....I had Barium Enema as an alternative to colonoscopy as I just couldnt go through another colonoscopy and simoidoscopy as I had found those procedures so painful. The Barium enema was very straight forward and not painful. I had the barium via enema, they injected me in the leg with a muscle relaxant so the bowel didnt spasm and you are fixed to a table that moves you around for the xray pictures to be taken. The yukky laxative the day before is the worse part but doable and you poo the barium out over the coming day or so after. Wishing you well for your health journey! All the best x

Hi Sunblock....I had Barium Enema as an alternative to colonoscopy as I just couldnt go through another colonoscopy and simoidoscopy as I had found those procedures so painful. The Barium enema was very straight forward and not painful. I had the barium via enema, they injected me in the leg with a muscle relaxant so the bowel didnt spasm and you are fixed to a table that moves you around for the xray pictures to be taken. The yukky laxative the day before is the worse part but doable and you poo the barium out over the coming day or so after. Wishing you well for your health journey! All the best x

Ahh dont think mines a barium enema its one i drink ive been told....yeh it says 150ml of picolax i just think i will be starving by the time ive had to done which might then make me feel sick then i'll have to drink the yucky chalk stuff which could make me sick if i already feel it :/ im such a worrier

---------- Post added 01-06-2014 at 13:44 ----------

What the picolax like for those who had it did you have just one sachet?

Archived