Violence to girls and women.

It is, and the statistics are shocking, with little attention reported in the media as they should be.

But these shocking stories about the violence and murders of women we've been hearing about in the news recently is publicity that may serve to help prevent such violence continuing on the scale it is. For instance in India and Pakistan masses of people, both men and women have been out in the streets protesting.

And I saw on the BBC an interview with an Asian female campaigning against the violence, she said "We want the world to know what is happening, we want the world to be outraged and other voices to protest on our behalf to help us put an end to it"

Keep up the pressure. I support all women.

Keep up the pressure. I support all women.

but only waxing lyrical about muslims :suspect:

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 17:49 ----------

looks like the woman on death row in sudan is to be freed

thank god (metaphorically of course)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-27651483

hope theyve seen the error of their ways and the rest of the worlds reaction and change their ways

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 17:51 ----------

police searching for a missing nurse in bournemouth have found a body :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-27647686

[/color]

I am sorry to read about your experiences. I can understand your feelings. When I was a child I had to witness my dad kicking my mother until she was black and blue. On occasions she had black eyes. It was a terrible sight when I saw him chasing my mother into the toilet and she had to lock the door behind her. She gave him the nickname-"footie" I often wondered why, when outdoors, he always walked a few paces ahead of her. In those days, I was thinking that his behaviour was normal although upsetting. Bearing in mind that I was six years old.

Thank you. it was some years ago, now, and, thankfully, the swine is long-gone. However, even in more recent times, the council here in Sheffield have been unhelpful, when applying for assistance as homeless because of leaving the marital home due to domestic violence, I was told

"You aren't homeless because you have the family home to live in...!"

"But the hubby is living in the family home... I can't go back there as he still occupies that property!"

"No you have the marital home to live in so you aren't homeless!"

*facepalm*

I wonder if PT's experience with the police was recent? It sounds truly shocking but I believe the British Police realised that the way they were treating victims of domestic violence and sexual offences was not acceptable. A lot of improvements have been made and I think a woman reporting domestic violence now would be supported by the police.

Times change, people become more enlightened but this doesn't seem to apply to some parts of Pakistan.

Yes it was some years ago, but going on some reports in the media, (forgive me for linking to the daily mail, here) Police can still show themselves to be unreconstructed, and unsupportive of people who are enduring domestic violence.

from the BBC 27 May 2014:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26758565

Apathy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26758565

this story was from 2012:-

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2012/oct/30/essex-police-criticised-domestic-murder

"lamentable.."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/10402756/Polices-response-to-victims-of-domestic-violence-is-lamentable.-Want-to-help-Heres-how.html

Only this year, this story was in the DM...

(police leave foul mouthed voicemail on phone of domestic abuse victim

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562879/Police-left-foul-mouthed-rant-calling-domestic-violence-victim-f-ing-b-ch-VOICEMAIL.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2548683/Pregnant-Rachel-Slack-stabbed-death-toddler-son-police-ignored-death-threats-ex-partner-upset-new-relationship-report-concludes-killing-NOT-predicte.html

Australia 2014...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633889/Woman-stalked-knife-wielding-ex-husband-films-terrifying-encounter.html

As the son of a paramedic in a rural community I would occasionally be able to piece stories together (my father is an utter professional who would never even consider sharing sensitive data from work with those at home) based on his call-outs and stories I heard through the grapevine/local news etc.

Violence against women and girls, was and is incredibly widespread throughout all cultures. A lady in our village ended up paralysed after her (known) drunkard husband decided to snap her neck by smashing her into a table. A girl at school didn't show up for three months with no explanation, I overheard my dad's semaphone when the call came in, a teenage girl had been severely abused at her home - a year later her dad was locked up for 12 years for sex offences.

Yes it was some years ago, but going on some reports in the media, (forgive me for linking to the daily mail, here) Police can still show themselves to be unreconstructed, and unsupportive of people who are enduring domestic violence.

Maybe I'm missing the point here but all those links show is that bad things sometimes happen in the UK and the police sometimes aren't as good as we would like them to be. But at least when our police let people down, there is media coverage, outrage and it doesn't take expressions of disgust from abroad, to make our politicians do something.

I cannot find a news article about our police standing by while a crowd murdered a woman in front of them, though. And I understand that our courts generally punish murderers, rather than letting them off if a family member of the deceased forgives them. I cannot find a news story from the UK about someone being condemned to death because they changed their religion.

Are you trying to argue that because we have some bad apples here in the UK we should not be concerned about this barbaric behaviour in other parts of the world?

I think you might be trying to make the argument that this kind of abuse is not limited to Muslims, in which case I completely agree. And I also agree that the vast majority of Muslims are as disgusted as I am. But, and here is the crucial but, I cannot eliminate the thought that it may be the people involved's interpenetration of their faith that is causing them to have a moral compass which differs from my own.

Maybe I'm missing the point here but all those links show is that bad things sometimes happen in the UK and the police sometimes aren't as good as we would like them to be. But at least when our police let people down, there is media coverage, outrage and it doesn't take expressions of disgust from abroad, to make our politicians do something.

I cannot find a news article about our police standing by while a crowd murdered a woman in front of them, though. And I understand that our courts generally punish murderers, rather than letting them off if a family member of the deceased forgives them. I cannot find a news story from the UK about someone being condemned to death because they changed their religion.

Are you trying to argue that because we have some bad apples here in the UK we should not be concerned about this barbaric behaviour in other parts of the world?

I think you might be trying to make the argument that this kind of abuse is not limited to Muslims, in which case I completely agree. And I also agree that the vast majority of Muslims are as disgusted as I am. But, and here is the crucial but, I cannot eliminate the thought that it may be the people involved's interpenetration of their faith that is causing them to have a moral compass which differs from my own.

at least she answered your question again with links to violence in this country(funny that) im still waiting for a reply to what I posted:suspect:

that's the trouble with the likes of pt/halibut/bf etc they accuse others of putting fingers in ears saying ner ner but don't like it when others accuse them :loopy:

That's the trouble with one eyed mouth breathers, they append statements to people that they haven't made, this is my first and only contribution to this thread, which you quite rightly pointed out earlier is about violence towards women!

The cultural norm is that some men believe it's perfectly permissible to beat or murder their wife because they feel in some way slighted or wronged by them.

Here's a recent example from a quiet northern town-a young mother allegedly executed by her boyfriend in broad daylight on a public road in front of two police officers who were investigating previous accusations of domestic abuse...what made him do it, do you wonder? Didn't seem to trouble the national press too much...must be because he was white, and probably a Christian ;)

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11086344.Man_charged_with_murder_of_Rawtenstall_mum/?ref=ms

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 19:34 ----------

You highlight some relevant points, however associating the activities of Pakistani Muslims with the beliefs of Muslims in the west is highly offensive in my opinion.

Domestic abuse is rife (in all communities) it's often not spoken about because of shame and fear of retribution. The thread's about violence against women, the distraction of the perpetrators religion or deriding those who point out it happens everywhere is paying those victims a disservice.

The cultural norm is that some men believe it's perfectly permissible to beat or murder their wife because they feel in some way slighted or wronged by them.

Here's a recent example from a quiet northern town-a young mother allegedly executed by her boyfriend in broad daylight on a public road in front of two police officers who were investigating previous accusations of domestic abuse...what made him do it, do you wonder? Didn't seem to trouble the national press too much...must be because he was white, and probably a Christian ;)

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/11086344.Man_charged_with_murder_of_Rawtenstall_mum/?ref=ms

A shocking story. But, the difference is the police did something (one assumes, since the charges included wounding and assaulting police officer). You will always get "bad apples" and we have our fair share in the UK. The difference compared to other countries, is that we take these crimes seriously and the police generally do something. And I note that there was no mention of the case being dismissed because one of the accused family members had forgiven him. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 22:32 ----------

You highlight some relevant points, however associating the activities of Pakistani Muslims with the beliefs of Muslims in the west is highly offensive in my opinion.

But I didn't do that, so don't worry. What I did say is that these people may well have done what they did because they thought their religion allowed or even compelled them to act in that way. I am pretty sure that most British Muslims would not think that stoning someone to death was in any way acceptable. But in parts of Pakistan and other countries they seem to have a different interpenetration of the rules of their religion.

---------- Post added 31-05-2014 at 22:34 ----------

And here in the UK, an average of 2 women are murdered each week (109 approx, per year, give or take) by their partner or ex partner.

Just for comparison, one third of victims of domestic violence in the UK are men. 1 man dies every three weeks as a result of domestic violence.

Archived