The Guiness Clock

Does anyone remember the Guiness Clock.

It was situated in Fitzallan Sq.It was a animated musical clock that was brought to sheffield in 1966 for the World Cup (i think)

Perhaps someone remembers it, as i was only 4 and can't remember it that well

no it was as big as a portacabin!all I can tell you is it was like a travelling roadshow cabin,it took up half the street.Nothing like a wall clock.Kids use to stand in the street to see it start playing music with the toucans running round a track.Somebody out there must remember it I am not that old!

Us old uns!, or at least my wife says the clock goes back to the Festival of Britain in 1951, it probably toured all over after that, but she remembers it at Edmund Rd drill hall for the Ideal Homes exhibition, some time in late 1950's

• 2 years later...
I remember the 66 World Cup in Sheffield.

The atmosphere in those few weeks was great.

But can't remember the clock ???

I can remember the World Cup '66 being held in Sheffield. Public Toilets were labelled 'Gentlemen, Messieurs, Senors etc. Events were held in the city which would normally not have been given a second thought. Pubs were open later. No Breathallyser until 1968. The atmosphere was wonderful whilst it lasted. I do remember the Guinness Clock. There was one just like it at Great Yarmouth and I think Skegness - all at that time.

Archived