Remember when ice cream men did not just sell ice cream?

I grew up on a council estate and remember throughout the 90's ice cream men turning up on the estate in his rusty van and some nursery tune faintly sounding through the speaker that was on its last hinge, while the locals Would rush up to at and order a quid special, 40 fags and the latest cinema film on bootleg vhs.....

Did anyone else experience the same service from the dairy desert mobile vendors?

Reminds me of the Kershaws seafood man selling all kinds of stuff from his basket when he came round S6 pubs in the 70's & 80's :hihi:

Haha that's before my time! I have heard stories of stalls outside pubs selling seafood... Alot of "oldies tell me about them

I do remember pop men coming round in a van selling sweets and odd bits like bog roll, if you saved the lid from your old bottle you got a discount on the next bottle, recycling has really evolved!

Haha that's before my time! I have heard stories of stalls outside pubs selling seafood... Alot of "oldies tell me about them

I do remember pop men coming round in a van selling sweets and odd bits like bog roll, if you saved the lid from your old bottle you got a discount on the next bottle, recycling has really evolved!

Our ice cream man used to sell fags beer and is now locked up for kidnapping must have seen him on news a while back? Bet he gets his commuppance:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...
Reminds me of the Kershaws seafood man selling all kinds of stuff from his basket when he came round S6 pubs in the 70's & 80's :hihi:

our seafood man had a jacket which looked like it said 'super **** les' on the back, i'm sure it should have been more carefully printed to read 'super cockles' ! but i think the printer was having a laugh.

our seafood man had a jacket which looked like it said 'super **** les' on the back, i'm sure it should have been more carefully printed to read 'super cockles' ! but i think the printer was having a laugh.

If it's the same person I used to work with him at the S&E dairy on Archer Road ;) Dave L***** was his name (not put all name) ;) Married to Karen

In the fifties a man used to go round the estates selling fruit and veg in the summer with a horse and cart, then later on he would be back with the same horse but a different cart selling ice cream.His hands used to be scruffy, and God knows where he went to the loo.No food and hygiene or health and safety then, and we still survived

Archived