Intelligence and sport

There was a scientific report last year where the conclusion was that players like L Messi and W Rooney were "genius". Presumably because of their quick calculations of angles etc.

Not sure I agree with that - sure the maths behind the calculations of angles and speed etc would be complex but in reality they aren't doing the maths - they are doing a practiced routine that they have been doing over and over for years on end.

I wouldn't say Paul Gascoigne or George Best were particularly brainy, after all.

Define 'intelligence'.

This. My brother played at a very reasonable semi-pro level, sniffing around a pro-contract so I know quite a few lads from the time when he did that did make it into the pro-game. Some of them were very street-wise, some were academically clever, most were completely focussed on football and therefore forewent any academic career. The ones I am still in contact with blew their chances at a college or uni degree and are now working rubbish jobs in factories.

One of them made it as a police man and one went to uni after getting injured and is now an accountant. In the mean-time my brother, who is definitely not unintelligent is living off his poker-winnings trying to launch a business for himself.

A couple of years ago there was a premiership footballer who went on Countdown, I don't know how well he did, but it was refreshing to hear of a footballer who went against the popular stereotype

It was Ryan Giggs. Probably trying to pull Rachel Riley.

I think it's important to be clever,but more important to be clever at whatever sport it is.In football,you could get 2 players who are both good ability wise,but one of them is more clever at football,that could make the difference between how successful they are,things like making quick and correct decisions,anticipation,thinking what an opponent is thinking.The other player may be a genius at lots of things that are nothing to do with football,more than another player,but if the other player is more clever than this genius at football,then I think the advantage is with him,if they are of the same football ability.

Archived