Intelligence and sport

This. My brother played at a very reasonable semi-pro level, sniffing around a pro-contract so I know quite a few lads from the time when he did that did make it into the pro-game. Some of them were very street-wise, some were academically clever, most were completely focussed on football and therefore forewent any academic career. The ones I am still in contact with blew their chances at a college or uni degree and are now working rubbish jobs in factories.

One of them made it as a police man and one went to uni after getting injured and is now an accountant. In the mean-time my brother, who is definitely not unintelligent is living off his poker-winnings trying to launch a business for himself.

Fascinating, but none of it addresses the invitation to 'define intelligence'.

There are different kinds of intelligence (the cognitive kind tested by IQ tests is not the only one), hence my question. Presumably, successful footballers have the kind of spatial, 3D-based intelligence which allows them to predict, exploit/respond to the ball's trajectory, avoid obstacles, etc. (As well as being physically fit, which is not a form of intelligence in itself).

Academic achievement is not necessarily an indicator of high intelligence nor is intellectual prowess a pre-requisite of sporting excellence. The fact that there are more academic high-fliers in some sports than in others (rugby and rowing, for example) - probably more to do with cultural preferences of independent schools than the demands of the sport itself. Most footballers did not attend private schools; they would have played far less football there than in state schools and local teams.

David Beckham is an interesting example of someone whose giftedness in football led to celebrity status and in turn to his becoming a more articulate and apparently intelligent individual, but that too was a cultural, rather than biological phenomenon.

In order to be at the very top in football I think intelligence is important, especially in midfield, where creativity is vital, and all positions require the ability to make split second decisions with multiple factors to consider.

The amount of time needed to practice to reach a world class level at sports precludes any chance of any sort of academic development for most sports stars. it is also worth noting that this goes both ways, so any young aspiring sport star who also wants to develop their academic ability as well probably won't put enough practice in to develop his sports skills enough.

Fascinating, but none of it addresses the invitation to 'define intelligence'.

There are different kinds of intelligence (the cognitive kind tested by IQ tests is not the only one), hence my question. Presumably, successful footballers have the kind of spatial, 3D-based intelligence which allows them to predict, exploit/respond to the ball's trajectory, avoid obstacles, etc. (As well as being physically fit, which is not a form of intelligence in itself).

Academic achievement is not necessarily an indicator of high intelligence nor is intellectual prowess a pre-requisite of sporting excellence. The fact that there are more academic high-fliers in some sports than in others (rugby and rowing, for example) - probably more to do with cultural preferences of independent schools than the demands of the sport itself. Most footballers did not attend private schools; they would have played far less football there than in state schools and local teams.

David Beckham is an interesting example of someone whose giftedness in football led to celebrity status and in turn to his becoming a more articulate and apparently intelligent individual, but that too was a cultural, rather than biological phenomenon.

I failed to make my point clear, thanks for picking up on that - the point I was making is that ability and intelligence are not linked, it is the choices they make that matter. A lot of (pro-) athletes land in a black hole after their sporting career is over because they made the wrong choice, one could argue that choice was unintelligent but that doesn't necessarily mean they are academically challenged.

Presumably, successful footballers have the kind of spatial, 3D-based intelligence which allows them to predict, exploit/respond to the ball's trajectory, avoid obstacles, etc. (As well as being physically fit, which is not a form of intelligence in itself).

There is also a great amount of it which is to do with team work, predicting others and being predictable in yourself.

The really successful teams all behave so fluidly, where they are able to move as one, pass the ball into empty space and have it perfectly meet another playing moving in the right direction.

It was Ryan Giggs. Probably trying to pull Rachel Riley.

Thought it was Clark Carlisle Alan, sorry but no way can Rooney be classed as intelligent or Joey Barton.

On 30 January 2002, Carlisle was awarded the accolade of "Britain's Brainiest Footballer" in a television quiz. Carlisle appeared as a contestant on the Channel 4 game show Countdown on 24 February 2010, winning his first match against the defending champion to stay on the show for the following programme. Carlisle then won his second contest, achieving a larger score than the previous day to stay on for another match. In his third match on 26 February 2010, he was defeated by three points.

Academic achievement is not necessarily an indicator of high intelligence nor is intellectual prowess a pre-requisite of sporting excellence.

My thinking was that if a persons body is perfectly formed for reaching a top level at sport, it would also be perfectly formed for other types of intelligence.

My thinking was that if a persons body is perfectly formed for reaching a top level at sport, it would also be perfectly formed for other types of intelligence.

I am struggling to see why you thought that. Perhaps you could explain the connection you think exists.

It could even be argued that being a very good footballer, or rower, or athlete is not actually so much about intelligence as instinct and practice.

One definition of intelligence is the capacity to learn from previous experience and to adapt your response to new, unfamiliar situations or stimuli or threats, accordingly. I find that useful as it works for more than kind of intelligence and it ignores the kind of non-intelligence based 'cleverness' which people like Michael Gove reveres.

Archived