Intelligence and sport

Intelligence is defined as the ability to acquire and utilise skills and knowledge. Anyone who denies that a top footballer is intelligent does not know what the word intelligent means.

They are probably making the common mistake of defining intelligence purely in academic terms.

Knowledge is defined as the ability to acquire and utilise skills and knowledge. Anyone who denies that a top footballer is intelligent does not know what the word intelligent means.

They are probably making the common mistake of defining intelligence purely in academic terms.

No, knowledge is information retained. Your definition sounds more

like intelligence.

I am struggling to see why you thought that. Perhaps you could explain the connection you think exists.

It could even be argued that being a very good footballer, or rower, or athlete is not actually so much about intelligence as instinct and practice.

It was just a thought, I wonder how an alrounder like Daley Thompson did at school. A google search says that he did quite well, but putting in little effort into the education side.

It was just a thought, I wonder how an alrounder like Daley Thompson did at school. A google search says that he did quite well, but putting in little effort into the education side.

But that is just anecdotal. Anecdotes do not prove or disprove theories.

Besides which, not everyone who does well at school is highly intelligent nor are school failures necessarily unintelligent.

It just crosed my mind that being intelligent might have an effect on playing sports such as football.

I am not into football myself, do good footballers tend to be intelligent?

I doubt there's many Nobel Prize winners that can play football to a decant standard either.

---------- Post added 03-06-2014 at 07:20 ----------

This. My brother played at a very reasonable semi-pro level, sniffing around a pro-contract so I know quite a few lads from the time when he did that did make it into the pro-game. Some of them were very street-wise, some were academically clever, most were completely focussed on football and therefore forewent any academic career. The ones I am still in contact with blew their chances at a college or uni degree and are now working rubbish jobs in factories.

One of them made it as a police man and one went to uni after getting injured and is now an accountant. In the mean-time my brother, who is definitely not unintelligent is living off his poker-winnings trying to launch a business for himself.

Nothing wrong with factory work! Better than being stuck in an office all your life playing the brown nosing game for a living!

I doubt there's many Nobel Prize winners that can play football to a decant standard either.

---------- Post added 03-06-2014 at 07:20 ----------

Nothing wrong with factory work! Better than being stuck in an office all your life playing the brown nosing game for a living!

Trust me, I had part-time jobs in those factories, all agricultural and all pretty damned hard and dirty work! Cleaning dog food machines and coming home in a caked on layer of ground up fishmeal and vegetable puree is not my idea of fun anymore!

Nothing wrong with factory work!
Indeed not, but...

Better than being stuck in an office all your life playing the brown nosing game for a living!
...not everyone who works in an office is "playing the brown nosing game for a living", very far from it.

Most jobs are not a reliable indication of the job holder's intelligence in this age of degrees-for-all (notwithstanding arguments about tuition fees, or the "academic" definition of intelligence which this last comment belies).

Archived