Davy United Group

buck

I worked at Davy from 1979 until 2005. My father, Lol Goodison worked there too. Between us, we served the company for nearly 70 years. My dad was a squad leader in the drawing office and I was a machinist, quality engineer and then a project manager.

We both have fond memories of the place and both have the old Davy 'D' in our hearts.

An earlier reply suggested the influx of apprentices reduced in the mid-seventies. However, our influx of '79 was 25 craft and 5 technical apprentices. The following year was a similar amount.

Some of the names from my year are as follows (apologies for those missing):

John Caddick, John Goodman, Chris Williamson, Rod Fiddler, Steve Wraith, Andy Webster, Keith Fairclough, Anthony 'Sid' Henstock, Jon Scholey, Dave Thomas, Dave Powell-Pepper, Chris Mogan, Alan Birtles, Richard 'Backy' Oldham, Gary Dickin, Mark 'Jacko' Richardson,

Mark 'Stevo' Stevens, Mark 'Rocker' Johnson, Richard 'Babs' Barber, Ian Roebuck, Martin Hawley, Martin Street, Andy Oates, Phil Moore.

Great memories!

I worked at Davy from 1979 until 2005. My father, Lol Goodison worked there too. Between us, we served the company for nearly 70 years. My dad was a squad leader in the drawing office and I was a machinist, quality engineer and then a project manager.

We both have fond memories of the place and both have the old Davy 'D' in our hearts.

An earlier reply suggested the influx of apprentices reduced in the mid-seventies. However, our influx of '79 was 25 craft and 5 technical apprentices. The following year was a similar amount.

Some of the names from my year are as follows (apologies for those missing):

John Caddick, John Goodman, Chris Williamson, Rod Fiddler, Steve Wraith, Andy Webster, Keith Fairclough, Anthony 'Sid' Henstock, Jon Scholey, Dave Thomas, Dave Powell-Pepper, Chris Mogan, Alan Birtles, Richard 'Backy' Oldham, Gary Dickin, Mark 'Jacko' Richardson,

Mark 'Stevo' Stevens, Mark 'Rocker' Johnson, Richard 'Babs' Barber, Ian Roebuck, Martin Hawley, Martin Street, Andy Oates, Phil Moore.

Great memories!

Does your dad still have that build it yourself sports car?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi does anyone remember my uncle Jack Allwood who started at Davy when he was 15 in 1935 he worked there till retirement in 1985 or my grandad Jim Cusick who worked there in 1940 Alan Littler NSW Australia

Hi alsuzy,

Jack worked in 6 Bay whilst I was serving my time in there. I think most of the bay considered him the best fitter in the shop. I never had the pleasure of being assigned to him as apprentice (I worked with Dougie Knowles - another very highly regarded fitter) however, I can recall the following about Jack:

If he did make a mistake he would laugh (at himself)

His status/reputation never went to his head - he was modest.

He made it look easy, yet he was given the big jobs.

He only drunk water at breaktimes (never tea or coffee).

No71

Hi there, I started work in the Davy United training school in 1957 then went into the Pattern Shop in 1958 as an apprentice Pattern maker. There was a pattern maker called Brian Endsor in the shop who believe left in the early 1960's and joined the Forest Agency I wonder is this the same person that you mentioned Crookesey?

Regards G.M.

Hello Sigma,

I worked with a (great) chap in 6 bay called Ralph Ferrett. I know he started as a pattern maker but was moved over to fitting when they decided the pattern shop would close (he was an apprentice at the time). Did you know him?

No71

No71

Angel49 .....The name rings a bell but cant remember anything else. A couple of mates worked in the LMS upto when it was flattened then moved into 2bay.

Hi Pressy,

Sad day when they cleared the LMS. I associate the closure with the start of the steep decline. Any chance you could let the forum know the names of your mates?

No71

Must know you, I sat opposite Brian Brook who whistled a lot so to stop him we held up a drg. of a cats backside which looked like his lips & he couldn't whistle for laughing. There used to be a 6" 'cannon ball' left over I think from the old forge which would get rolled rumbleing down the D.O. floor & folks lifted their feet up to avoid a broken ankle. As has been said, 'Those were the days'

Hello Mike57

You were/are Mike P from the hydraulics section of HMD working with Dick, Brian B and Bob H? I remember Brian Brooke's boob mug as well as his singing and whistling. Also the race for the best (darkest) dripping scone as the tea trolley crashed out of the lift. I was at D-L for only three years but have fond memories of the place - especially after coming up to Sheffield fromt'South. They were well up with technology - introduced the first CAD machine, or whatever it was called in those days, in 1976 and Square D PLCs the same year. Whenever I see the opening scenes from the Full Monty it brings back memories of the mid '70s, walking home at night from Tiffany's or the Top Rank with the glow of blast furnaces just over the horizon and the thud of forging hammers carrying across the city. We now live in Adelaide, South Aus, but could move back to Sheffield for a while any time.

• 2 weeks later...