The evolution of the word "Gay".

Many words have conflicting meanings depending on the context.

Gay = happy

Gay = rubbish

Bad = terrible

Bad = good

Sick = Ill

Sick = Excellent

Quite. I find the evolution of words quite interesting.

Another example is the word "Pagan", now widely used as an insult by the younger generation. I have many Pagan friends, and leanings that way myself, but i don't take it as an insult, in their context.

---------- Post added 02-06-2014 at 16:10 ----------

Also challenge the word chav whilst you are at it.

Very offensive, but widely used on SF. Seemingly acceptably so.

What a wicked thread, it's the dogs, this is /was new speak, it's probably moved on since I heard it and wicked has now reverted to its original meaning.

I don't see the point of berating Megalithic because word meanings change constantly and I don't think for a minute that he is responsible for it.

Judging by the current crop of young 'uns the caveman grunt is making a big comeback.

B.T.W. what or who is ST and where have they/it gone? ... I'm intrigued.

Also challenge the word chav whilst you are at it.

This word seems to be used in different ways. From dress sense to behaviour.

I'm pretty chavvy myself in terms of dress sense and even taste in music. I draw the line at stealing cars though. :suspect:

This word seems to be used in different ways. From dress sense to behaviour.

I'm pretty chavvy myself in terms of dress sense and even taste in music. I draw the line at stealing cars though. :suspect:

:hihi::hihi:

On here we have our very own version of the freedom fighters of Islam and the gay liberation front, strangely they are almost the same people :hihi:

but nobody will defend the white working class youth when the word chav is used.

Of course we shouldn't, but this is a word already in wide use, a word that's evolved to have a different meaning. In that context it's not at all offensive.

Would you support a ban on it being used thus ? Which takes us back to the original question.

I don't think you can ban people from using words, though in my current job I work with young people and I have challenged those have used the word 'gay' to mean something derogatory.

I find it staggering that people's vocabulary is so limited that they cannot think of another word to describe something.

It also very conveniently ignores young people coming to terms with their sexuality who will find yet another example in the world of why being gay = being bad.

I suspect the origin of the word gay to mean something derogatory came out of the same line of thinking that brought us 'post feminism' and 'post irony'. The idea that now we have civil partnerships the gays are ready for a bit of 'banter' (verbal abuse).

Civil society shouldn't tolerate this low level homophobia, which is really what it is, when it is used by sentient adults. I was also really angry that the BBC didn't challenge Chris Moyles when he used the word gay to mean something naff. Angry, but not surprised :rolleyes:

Archived