1. 1. predict outcome of Newark by election here

• CON hold 5000 + maj
    • CON hold 2000-4999 maj
    • CON hold 1-1999 maj
    • UKIP gain 1-1999 maj
    • UKIP gain 2000-4999 maj
    • UKIP gain 5000+ maj
    • other (please specify)

maj over 7,000. Even Farage would not have won it.

the Tories are sensibly not laying into UKIP too much but trying to make out Labour had a bad day, but I think the Labour vote held up quite well considering UKIP helped themselves to 10,000 votes at least some of which will have voted Labour at the last GE. I reckon quite a lot of the collapsed Liberal vote went Labour, which is bad news for the Tories if they do that in marginal Labour/Tory seats in the next GE.

but not a bad result for the Tories either. Last time there was a Tory PM, in the 92-97 parliament, they would have definitely lost this seat, UKIP or no UKIP.

What a shame Fromage didn't stand as the candidate in Newark ;)

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 14:53 ----------

maj over 7,000. Even Farage would not have won it.

the Tories are sensibly not laying into UKIP too much but trying to make out Labour had a bad day, but I think the Labour vote held up quite well considering UKIP helped themselves to 10,000 votes at least some of which will have voted Labour at the last GE. I reckon quite a lot of the collapsed Liberal vote went Labour, which is bad news for the Tories if they do that in marginal Labour/Tory seats in the next GE.

but not a bad result for the Tories either. Last time there was a Tory PM, in the 92-97 parliament, they would have definitely lost this seat, UKIP or no UKIP.

Not really. They could dye a poodle blue & they'd vote for it in Newark

It's done now and the UKIP balloon is realising it ain't so easy. I'm interested in what their 3rd and 4th string bandwagons are. . . . after Europe and Immigration

On a light hearted note:- . . . . . . and they'd vote for it

Tory = Dye a poodle blue

Labour = Monkey with a red rosette.

Liberal = ??

UKIP = Put a bulldog in a Doc Martins

Greens = ??

What a shame Fromage didn't stand as the candidate in Newark ;)

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 14:53 ----------

My thoughts exactly, I know several people from Newark or surrounding area and they're not very nice people. All this St Georges day lark, bulldog spirit etc. Cause back in 1958 the race riots around there were as bad as if not worse than those in London. Kinda says it all really

My thoughts exactly, I know several people from Newark or surrounding area and they're not very nice people. All this St Georges day lark, bulldog spirit etc. Cause back in 1958 the race riots around there were as bad as if not worse than those in London. Kinda says it all really

The 1958 riots were in Nottingham, not Newark.

The 1958 riots were in Nottingham, not Newark.

Good grief, well duh. Can you explain what the term, "Surrounding area," means and why newarks is prefixed with a post code of NG24

no. Although it is an expected Tory seat they expect to carry in their column, it is not a 'true blue' top class Tory seat. It went Labour in 97 and also in 66 (although not 45). Labour is the second party of Newark, not Liberal, they were weak round there even before now their vote collapsed, like it has now. The Liberal vote fell in Newark between 92 and 97 when Labour won it. They voted tactically for Labour in Newark in 97 to get the Tory out, just like Labour supporters voted Liberal tactically in Hallam in 97, to get the Tory out.

difference is Labour got booted out of Newark at the first time of asking, in 2001. Whereas the Liberals clung on and will still have an MP in Hallam next year, 18 years after the 97 GE, when they won a Tory seat, Hallam, that was much safer than Newark.

Archived