Wedding Venue Discussion 2015/2016

Hi WeddingJess :) Now that I think of it, we probably did hit £3k, but that's still not bad - just shows you can have a wonderful day without breaking the bank, just:

* my aunt owns a small printing company, so printed up invitations for free (cheating somewhat, sorry);

* go for an evening dress, not a "proper" wedding dress (personal shopping appointments are free and no, they're not just for the rich to spend silly money, they're great fun - I had an appointment with both House of Fraser and Debenhams, the assistants aren't on commission, so don't "push" anything and, in fact, the Debenhams assistants said that the HoF dress was the nicer!);

* either don't have flowers or, as I did (even if without planning it), have flowers from the garden;

* my matching necklace/earrings were £16 from a stall in the market at Crystal Peaks and fitted the dress perfectly;

* I didn't buy special shoes, but wore old silver ones I'd previously worn on stage, so comfortable and no cost;

* I didn't buy "special" underwear, as a lot of brides do (but it was my nicest!);

* he wore a suit he'd bought recently, but, at the time, only worn once, so no cost to the wedding budget specifically;

* don't go for a hotel "do", I found some have minimum spends of £3-5k, others didn't have a minimum spend, but by the time you looked at their bottom line, may as well have done - look at local village/church halls, much cheaper (Kiveton Park and Wales Village Hall has both a website and a Facebook page);

* we used Andrius Photography (both on Sheffield Forum/Facebook and has a website) - reasonable price, he stayed longer than he said he would, great photos and was very amenable to our changes when we suddenly asked for two collages instead of an album (which we thought would end up being parked on a shelf and only ever looked at a couple of times, whereas we see the collages every day, nice way to remember a lovely day and much cheaper than an album);

* if you use a village/church hall, they frequently have their own "house" DJ or can recommend ones with reasonable charges - Rob (the Joker) whom we used is on Facebook, he was great, would definitely recommend him;

* don't buy a wedding cake for silly money, my sister just made two, one smaller than the other, to make a two tier cake, then look around your friends and family to find someone who's good at icing! If you have an idea of what you want, Google it, you're bound to get some photos for good ideas

* don't have bridesmaids/attendants who also need dressing top to toe or, if you do, do so on the understanding that they pay for their own outfit!

I think the thing which cost the most was the vintage car, but it was gorgeous and the hubby's a car nut, so worth it (according to him).

Happy to be of help/give further information if anyone needs it :)

Wow! Impressed at how much you managed to do, on such a tight budget. :)

• 8 months later...
  • SFBeca unpinned this topic