After a clear vote against the EU..they want to put council tax up!

What do you think the word distortion means, in the report which you linked and I quoted?

Apparently you're confused. Or disingenuous. Out of courtesy, I've left the third option out...but you're free to continue making that one as obvious as you wish.

I'm not aware of a change in it's meaning,

"distortion

dɪˈstɔːʃ(ə)n/

noun

noun: distortion; plural noun: distortions

the action of distorting or the state of being distorted.

"the virus causes distortion of the leaves"

synonyms: warp, twist, contortion, bend, buckle, deformation, deformity, curve, curvature, malformation, disfigurement, crookedness; More

gnarl, knot

"strain on the muscles of the eye leading to a distortion in shape or structure"

a distorted form or part.

"a distortion in the eye's shape or structure"

the action of giving a misleading account or impression.

"we're fed up with the media's continuing distortion of our issues"

synonyms: misrepresentation, perversion, twisting, falsification, misreporting, misstatement, manipulation; "

I'm not aware of a change in it's meaning
I had assumed that you actually read your link before posting it.

How wrong could I be, and how unsurprising that you didn't (else I very much doubt that you would have posted it, considering its conclusions).

Combined, the two distortions for exports have grown from an estimated £4 billion in 2004 to just over £10 billion in 2010. Both have very large margins of error as a result of the sweeping assumptions therein. The most likely inaccuracy is an overestimate in the Rotterdam-Antwerp effect, resulting from exports to the Netherlands that are not subject to the same rates of transhipment as fuels or containerized cargo. As a proportion of UK exports of £5-600 billion, the overall distortion is not great.

The Rotterdam-Antwerp Effect (for goods shipping), which Jeffrey Shaw posted about and to which I was referring, is the first "distortion".

The Netherlands-Luxembourg Effect (for investments) is the second "distortion".

The "overall distortion" is the combination of these 2 effects, and "distortion" in this report is consistently and very clearly used in relation to the weight in value of these effects in the UK<>EU trade relationship.

Feel free to prove me wrong, and to explain why "the word distortion should have alarm bells ringing" (your own words).

Do you need a definition for 'context'? Or perhaps for 'disingenuous'? How about for 'obtuse'?

I had assumed that you actually read your link before posting it.

How wrong could I be, and how unsurprising that you didn't (else I very much doubt that you would have posted it, considering its conclusions).

The Rotterdam-Antwerp Effect (for goods shipping), which Jeffrey Shaw posted about and to which I was referring, is the first "distortion".

The Netherlands-Luxembourg Effect (for investments) is the second "distortion".

The "overall distortion" is the combination of these 2 effects, and "distortion" in this report is consistently and very clearly used in relation to the weight in value of these effects in the UK<>EU trade relationship.

Feel free to prove me wrong, and to explain why "the word distortion should have alarm bells ringing" (your own words).

Do you need a definition for 'context'? Or perhaps for 'disingenuous'? How about for 'obtuse'?

I read the article before I posted it and awaited the response.:hihi:

I read the article before I posted it and awaited the response.:hihi:
Ah, well:

Apparently you're confused. Or disingenuous. Out of courtesy, I've left the third option out...but you're free to continue making that one as obvious as you wish.
it's the third option then :P:hihi:

A politician in Rotterdam from Geert Wilders' loony party has come out with this: If the EU breaks up that is great for Rotterdam, we get to levy everything coming through the port.

Long live borders.

Exactly, said this all along - The price of goods shipped to the UK would go up thus driving up UK salaries making us even more uncompetitive

Well, if you are quite clever than it is time for you to engage that brain and look beyond the simple rhetoric you feel is truth.

Have you ever took the time to think that maybe people have had enough of being forced legislation from the muppets in Brussels. The sooner we get out of this money pit that is the EU the better.

Eastbank is spot on . Too many coming over here now . Enough is enough , lock the gates . Get out of Europe, tell the suits in Brussels to shove it and make our own decisions once again.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 19:47 ----------

That's just a sympton and not the cause isn't it, though? It's unclear of all the reasons why countries want to join the EU but I reckon some are the biggest are:

1. Fear of being annexed by Russia - Most of them are East Europeans or former bloc countries.
  2. Stronger export markets for their cheap goods.
  3. Getting rid of large numbers of the population as they seek work in the rest of the EU.

Let Putin have them back behind the Iron Curtain , it will stop the influx of them coming over here

Have you ever took the time to think that maybe people have had enough of being forced legislation from the muppets in Brussels. The sooner we get out of this money pit that is the EU the better.

Eastbank is spot on . Too many coming over here now . Enough is enough , lock the gates . Get out of Europe, tell the suits in Brussels to shove it and make our own decisions once again.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 19:47 ----------

Let Putin have them back behind the Iron Curtain , it will stop the influx of them coming over here

No it won't, if anything it would encourage more to flee to the West

Yes I have, frequently, and each time I do I realise that this is the opinion of narrow minded biggots. Anything else you want me to think about?

Yes I have, frequently, and each time I do I realise that this is the opinion of narrow minded biggots. Anything else you want me to think about?

bigots now.....just because we want out of europe.....the dutch seem to have nailed it....they put their roma into containers.....the french and italian put them into camps.....and he has the nerve to call us bigots....:hihi::hihi:

Archived