The Netherthorpe Fawcett Street Parking Scheme scam

I totally understand your frustration. I am in a similar situation than you blue canary. Today I have parked in one of those areas as I have seen cars without permits and I think I did not get a ticket. There was basically nothing else I could do as I needed to get to work.

I have found a solution though. In my way back I have put through mail boxes a letter asking whether the occupiers from houses next to the Arts Towers would be willing to rent their driveway (for a price way below university permits). I have been contacted straight away by a landlady and I have arranged to park my car there from now on. She has mentioned that she has got two more parking spaces available in the area case some other friends/colleagues of mine need it. I can not think of anyone so if someone is interested, I can put you in contact with this person.

Regards,

I totally understand your frustration. I am in a similar situation than you blue canary. Today I have parked in one of those areas as I have seen cars without permits and I think I did not get a ticket. There was basically nothing else I could do as I needed to get to work.

I have found a solution though. In my way back I have put through mail boxes a letter asking whether the occupiers from houses next to the Arts Towers would be willing to rent their driveway (for a price way below university permits). I have been contacted straight away by a landlady and I have arranged to park my car there from now on. She has mentioned that she has got two more parking spaces available in the area case some other friends/colleagues of mine need it. I can not think of anyone so if someone is interested, I can put you in contact with this person.

Regards,

Have pm'd you - thanks.

What gets me is they do all this Parking Permit thing but people do need to park somewhere if they carry on no one will be able to park anywhere in Sheffield so you may as well get rid of your car. If they don't want people parking in certain areas they should provide suitable reasonably priced Car Parks instead.

They just want it back how it was in the 60's.

When there were only a handful of cars on each street, as not many people owned them.

I wonder if the councillors making these descisions have to pay for their own parking??

I wonder if the councillors making these descisions have to pay for their own parking??

I wonder if the reserved parking spots on the bottom deck of the NCP car parks in town are for councillors?

What gets me is they do all this Parking Permit thing but people do need to park somewhere if they carry on no one will be able to park anywhere in Sheffield so you may as well get rid of your car. If they don't want people parking in certain areas they should provide suitable reasonably priced Car Parks instead.

I think it's the other way around: the parking permit schemes are to enable residents to park where they need to, and prevent them being crowded out by cars belonging to non-residents.

Well, that should be definitely the reason behind this "permit only" areas.

However, those streets are empty right now...Thus, people that work at uni can not park and residents that have a car to park on the road (not those many by the look of it) have to pay. It seems like this has not been thought through properly to me...

This is all about the council trying to get staff at the university and hospitals to use public transport.

---------- Post added 24-07-2014 at 15:09 ----------

The signs are up, but no cars seemed to be displaying residents permits, so I'm not sure it's actually in force yet (I hope not anyway!).

I also work for the university and have recently paid for a category B permit. On several occasions I have driven around pretty much every one of the 'B' car parks at around 8.45am, which is the earliest I can get to work after I've dropped my kids off. Every one of them has been full, so I have ended up back at Netherthorpe. Given that public transport is not an option as my kids childcare is not on a suitable bus route, I genuinely don't know what I'm going to do from now on (aside from lose a significant chunk of my working day).

I think there is a serious issue in the university charging staff for parking, then having insufficient provision. This is only going to get worse when the Durham Road car park closes in the near future.

It was the council who have asked (some would say forced) the university to increase permit prices and cut spaces. It is totally deliberate.

Archived