Skateboarders. Good or Evil?

i see skateboarding as both a subculture and a mode of transport. i have a lot of time for skateboarders and i wish i had the patience to learn myself.

as for assigning certain areas to skateboarding and banning from others, would bmx'ers get the same treatment? or rollerbladers? in some cases yes but i think there's a huge bias against skateboarders.

There's nothing wrong with skatebooarding as such, but they should only be allowed to practice in specified areas away from where people walk such as in tudor square or pedestrian walkway's. I have seen elderly people been run into due to the young lad losing control and when there is a lot practicing, the noise is awfull and does give one a headache.

It is not funny, when the workers are sat outside in the city centre on their lunch break in summer and gangs of twenty or more are clanging and banging all around, you cant read , relax or sit quiet and enjoy the sunshine.

Far be it from me to spoil anybody's fun, but these youth's must realise that there are other people in this world and need to be considered as well as themselves. The council has started to provide places already to try and solve the problem and as time goes by, I am sure it will be resolved.

I'm not going to criticise something I can't do myself. Tried it once, fell off, tried again, couldn't get it to move properly. Gave up. If I could do it, I'd probably be riding around on it all the time showing people like me what they're missing! LOL.

• 1 month later...

Skateboarding is a fantastic sport which is far better than sitting at home. Indeed I see the issues with skating on the street during busy periods of the day though it should be aloud during quietier periods. ie between 7 and 10 pm . I personly skate along with many of my friends. We dont graffitti nor do we do drugs. Yes some skaters do do drugs but some Doctors do to!!! are we going to boycot the doctors and shout in uproar about that NO. so why complain about skaters. If they are not causing harm to anyone whats wrong with it?

The other day I was skating just out side the dove and rainbow about midday. there were no people around. yet still some1 from the office near by called the police. I think the term to discribe that is waisting police time. firstly myself and others were causing no harm. and if he had problems with our non obstructive presence he should of come to us and we would of left instead of waisting police time. Personly its all about common sence... dont skate in busy areas and respect each other. drugs and graffitti are part of the youth culture not a skating cluture

Skaters are damn right annoying. They clutter up the pavements and pose a danger to passers by. With all the tricks they do such as flipping on the boards, they also run the risk of losing control and causing damage to cars and other property. What would they do if a board went flying into someones car and scratched it all? Probably run off, resulting in expense to the cars owner and an all round inconvenience. Skating is fine, just keep it away from busy and residential areas, and stick to skate parks.

Too right theyre bloody annoying. A skate park/cafe opened about 1/2 a mile away from me a few weeks a go and i thought id got rid of them for good off my street but theyre back tonight.

I had to shut all the windows cos i was trying to revise and theyre making a right noise banging and shouting. When theyre out there i darent go out cos when theyre in a group they can be cocky and sometimes rude.

I live on a nice little street and they lower the tone hanging around in their baggy clothes and their long scruffy hair. I dont mean to tar them all with the same brush or anything but the group round here are more annoying than anything. (and they arent even that good at skating)

Also, they make ramps out of all sorts of rubbish and leave it there when theyve done messing the street up.

Architects are partly to blame for the rise of skateboarders in cities. It's their designs of piazzas and walkways with a combination of steel and concrete that provides the smooth areas with 'obstacles' to jump around, under and over.

Skate parks are usually made too 'safe' by the councils scared of being sued in case someone comes off, and are therefore no challenge to the serious skateboarder.

• 5 years later...

My boyfriend is a skateboarder has been for about 7 years, ive grown up with them and have always known them to be good people. you get your odd Kn*b head but that's just normal but i don't know how you could say they are evil, all they want to do is have a bit of fun, shoot some pictures or video's no harm in that is there?

i don't see why people have a bad view on them you could say bad things about the people who Bmx or rollerblade.

Archived