Driving on the continent

I'm sure I've not dreamt this up but I'm sure someone (possibly the AA on Furnivale Gate ?) used to offer driving lessons for driving on the right in Europe . Presumably the lessons were based at the disused airfield at Norton. Does anyone still offer these types of lessons ?

I heard something about this on the radio yesterday. It was national radio though so doubt it was specific to Sheffield. To be honest driving on the right is a doddle, even in a right hand drive car. Takes all of 5 minutes to get used to it. The only thing you really have to remember is to go round roundabouts the opposite way... oh and look out for the yellow diamond priority signs. That's it, training over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_to_the_right

jb

If you need lessons to drive over on the continent your should probably just stick to public transport.

It's really not that hard.

Why would you feel it necessary to say that?

Is it unreasonable that someone be slightly nervous about driving on the other side? And if they are nervous, surely they're being responsible by looking into some training.

The only thing you really have to remember is to go round roundabouts the opposite way... oh and look out for the yellow diamond priority signs.
and stick to the right-hand lane when turning right at a junction.

Don't laugh, it's happened to me once or twice over the years (and I passed my driving test in France :blush::hihi:).

Is it unreasonable that someone be slightly nervous about driving on the other side? And if they are nervous, surely they're being responsible by looking into some training.

because it's true?

If you don't feel confident with something as simple as driving around in France, then god help you in day to day life!

The worst bit about driving there is making sure you're aware of all the new rules they keep bringing in, and make sure your car is carrying all the equipment they keep demanding.

Possibly.

Depends on whether the training they want is to update them on different junction layout designs, different laws etc. If so, a wise precaution.

If on the other hand they feel driving on the right is somethhing that might stump them, then as others have said, it really is a doddle. If they cannot adapt within a very short time over there, then you have to query whether they should be in charge of a ton of metal in the first place.

I heard something about this on the radio yesterday. It was national radio though so doubt it was specific to Sheffield. To be honest driving on the right is a doddle, even in a right hand drive car. Takes all of 5 minutes to get used to it. The only thing you really have to remember is to go round roundabouts the opposite way... oh and look out for the yellow diamond priority signs. That's it, training over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priority_to_the_right

jb

I banged my left hand into the door a few times (in a left hand drive) before I learnt the lesson. (Trying to change gear).

It's probably easier in a left hand drive though, if you take your own car you have poor visibility.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 14:16 ----------

Possibly.

Depends on whether the training they want is to update them on different junction layout designs, different laws etc. If so, a wise precaution.

If on the other hand they feel driving on the right is somethhing that might stump them, then as others have said, it really is a doddle. If they cannot adapt within a very short time over there, then you have to query whether they should be in charge of a ton of metal in the first place.

We know that now, having tried it. But a bit of apprehension about it before trying the first time is normal.

The worst bit about driving there is making sure you're aware of all the new rules they keep bringing in
Rule changes are few and far between, in fairness. But yes, it pays to keep-up-to-date. Like, if you have or take a satnav, make sure the speed trap location warning is disabled. That's an expensive one if caught (up to €1500, on the spot).

make sure your car is carrying all the equipment they keep demanding.
This as well (hi-vis per occupant and triangle especially), although I have found them extremely relaxed about headlight diverters over the past few years. Not fitted mine for the last 2 years at least, and never a bother at (FR) customs either way.

1st rule I always give to friends and acquaintances who have never driven over there: do not hesitate (i.e. do not look erratic to other road users, e.g. go, stop, go, stop, maybe go, maybe turn<etc.>). If you get on the wrong road or lost, keep going until you can turn off or around safely and backtrack, do not stop and then dither, as that's the surest way of getting pranged in France, especially in large conurbations (Paris, Lyon, Marseille).

Archived