Driving on the continent

Don't you need a breathalyser as well
No. That one is still only advisory (whatever the AA/RAC looking to peddle theirs with a 400% markup may say). For now.

, and doesn't the hi-vis need to be within reach of the driver or something silly??
Always had mine in the boot, ever since the measure came in. Car has been searched at customs, and I've been spot-checked by Gendarmes once or twice, they've never said owt about it.

Next pearls of wisdom:

If you're going to drive above speed limit on motorways, never do so within 2000m of an upcoming toll barrier ("barrière de péage") as that is the favourite spot for ad hoc speedtraps (which snap you surreptitiously on your way, but as you can't get off before the toll, CRS or Gendarme then pull you over at the toll barrier for an expensive chat)

If you get flashed by an automatic radar, chances are you'll never hear anything about it (been flashed at 140 i/of 110 at Easter 2013, never heard nothing)

Don't you need a breathalyser as well, and doesn't the hi-vis need to be within reach of the driver or something silly??

It is best to take 2 because if you get stopped and use your only breathalyser then you have to continue without one,thus breaking the law.

It is best to take 2 because if you get stopped and use your only breathalyser then you have to continue without one,thus breaking the law.
The law is that there should be a breathalyser in the vehicle (R233-1 of the French Rules of the Road) and that there is no sanction for not carrying a breathalyser (Decree 2013-180).

Le décret n° 2013-180 modifiant l'article R. 233-1 du Code de la route précise que « tout automobiliste est tenu de posséder un éthylotest à bord de son véhicule. Tout en maintenant cette obligation, le décret supprime la sanction qui devait s'appliquer, à compter du 1er mars 2013, en cas de défaut de possession de l'éthylotest ».
Source.

So no, you don't even need one to begin with :)

driving on the right is a lot easier when there is traffic to give you orientation, so I don't really see how much good these continental driving lessons are going to be. I spend a little less than half of each year in a country that drives on the right, although driving not a car, but a motorbike. You quickly get used to it. But when there is no traffic, then you might find yourself drifting over to the left side of the road through habit especially you have a right hand drive car. What I have found most difficult about driving cars on the right is having to change gear with my right hand on a right hand drive car, however even that you get used to quite quickly.

Hyper was nearer to the mark about me. I'll be driving my own car and yes motorways are a doddle but no harm in trying to get a bit of experience on junctions, roundabouts etc beforehand. Seemed sensible to me. Oh, and I've been driving in this country 42 years so not apprehensive, ditherer or a Mr Reginald Molehusband !

Hyper was nearer to the mark about me. I'll be driving my own car and yes motorways are a doddle but no harm in trying to get a bit of experience on junctions, roundabouts etc beforehand. Seemed sensible to me. Oh, and I've been driving in this country 42 years so not apprehensive, ditherer or a Mr Reginald Molehusband !
Just take your time when you're there, nothing more to it. Observe the traffic, and just replicate, with care and common sense.

Don't let surrounding drivers pressure you, but as I said, don't be erratic or hesitant. Easier said than done, I know, but after 42 years' worth of driving, I'm quite sure you'll get comfortable and find the experience enjoyable very early on.

Plus, they know a thing or two about making nice road surfaces, and -at least insofar as France is concerned- the Gvt has been bashing drivers with so much repression for the past few years, it's actually worked (far less speeding and borderline-dangerous driving over there these days) and it is now quite civilised and pleasurable on the roads over there ;)

I hope so LOOb but last experience 20 years ago resulted in an accident at a junction, not my fault (their insurance paid out !), but felt I needed to get a refresher before diving in.

I've found that the most likely place to stray from the right is not during normal driving at junctions and roundabouts but when leaving,say,a supermarket or petrol station.Be extra careful here to join the correct cariageway.

A hi-viz jacket should be reachable without leaving the vehicle.A set of spare bulbs,specific to your car, is required.Breathalysers are no longer required.A warning triangle is.If you wear glasses while driving you must have a spare pair.

Beware of Priorite a droite.At junctions with no road markings,particularly in the country,vehicles joining the main road from the right have right of way.

And beware of the periferique(?).The Paris ring road requires particular care and attention to navigate.It's easier to find your way back to Calais from it than it is to find your way when going on holiday.It's also much easier on a motorbike!

Archived