Why not run trams along the railway track to Dore?

I was looking at some old photographs of when there were 4 lines between Sheffield Station and Dore & Totley. There were also several stations along the route.

It occured to me that trams could run along the railbed besides the trains with the old stations reopened as tram stops.

There was a staion at Heeley another between the Tesco & Sainsbury stores at Millhouses. Another at Beauchief and a final one at Totley.

A footbridge from the Millhouses station to the supermarkets would be a great idea and a far better way of getting into town than the current park & ride.

Trams could initially be railway cars, but later an electric system installed to allow electric trams to use the route.

There's probably a few decent tram-train type deals they can put in.

I think I read something in the news recently about extending the Middlewood Tram out to Stocksbridge using the old woodhead Manchester line, it's currently in place and still used.

It'd be nice to have the park and ride abit further out, Middlewood gets abit jammed up in the mornings - the park and ride junction is really poorly designed.

Trams cannot travel along railway tracks to Dore or Deepcar.

They need to be electrified and each use a different electrical supply.

Dore- Sheffield will be electrified soon at mainline voltage.

They cannot use the same platforms.

They cannot use the mainline junctions as their tyres have a different profile.

The Government want a tram-train as it will make inter-urban transport cheaper. To this end they are trialing the tram- train between Sheffield and Rotherham Parkgate.

There is a case for a HS2 Meadowhall to Dore fast service- this would be government funded as part of HS2.

A service to Deepcar via Middlewood or Nunnery is currently not realistic as the railway route does not pass or go to the main centres of population. It would also not meet government requirements for funding and so would have to be funded by Sheffield.

The Dore bottleneck will be eased shortly as a second platform on the Manchester line is due to be built.

Archived