Charge for plastic carrier bags

So if you want a plastic carrier bag while out shopping its going to cost you 5 pence. I agree with this theres far to many going to landfill. But who gets the 5ps?

The shop! They supply the bag , Sell the bag, Get the money for the bag!

just like Lidl.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 22:41 ----------

3P. 5P, 9P 0R 89P>>Bag prices from Lidl.

Well Asda better get their act together, their bags are so poor they tear very easily. I can see lots of shopping on the floor as people try to maximise them and the bags split. Also, how is this going to work on the self service tills, are they going to put barcodes on the bags and rely on peoples honesty to scan them before using them?

Free, paper, carrier bags? They worked in the past, so why not now? Remember Safeways? I recall they used to have heavyweight paper grocery bags.

I get a magazine mailed to me each month in a clear, plastic-like, biodegradable envelope made from potato starch. It's sturdy enough to go through the postal system. The answers are out there.

When I was a kid it was common practice to be charged a few pence for a plastic bag in the local shop. It's only since supermarkets have taken over the world that we expect free plastic bags.

I hate plastic bags, they litter the countryside, waste valuable resources and kill these beautiful creatures.

We don't need Asda to do anything to the strength of their bags. What we need is for people to all take a bit more responsibility for what they're doing and simply buy some strong reusable bags.

I am glad we are getting the tax but I think it should be 20p, not 5p.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 23:31 ----------

Co-op do biodegradable ones and so should everyone else. Particular as the council, in their infinite wisdom, won't let you chuck them in the plastics recycle bin. Nobbers.

Biodegradable bags (which are actually photodegradable) are even worse for the environment than normal bags. And you can't put them in the plastic recycle bin because they're not a type of plastic that can easily be recycled.

The average carrier bag is used for 20 minutes but will take 1,000 years to degrade. In 900 years time, whoever is left on the earth will be digging up our old carrier bags.

When I was a kid it was common practice to be charged a few pence for a plastic bag in the local shop. It's only since supermarkets have taken over the world that we expect free plastic bags.

I hate plastic bags, they litter the countryside, waste valuable resources and kill these beautiful creatures.

We don't need Asda to do anything to the strength of their bags. What we need is for people to all take a bit more responsibility for what they're doing and simply buy some strong reusable bags.

I am glad we are getting the tax but I think it should be 20p, not 5p.

---------- Post added 04-06-2014 at 23:31 ----------

Biodegradable bags (which are actually photodegradable) are even worse for the environment than normal bags. And you can't put them in the plastic recycle bin because they're not a type of plastic that can easily be recycled.

The average carrier bag is used for 20 minutes but will take 1,000 years to degrade. In 900 years time, whoever is left on the earth will be digging up our old carrier bags.

I bet the recycling lot will take them then - seriously in a 200 years time we'll be digging them up to make important stuff.

But your bog standard morrisons bag you can recycle, it says so on the bag. My council refused to do so.

I was certain this topic would be raised today.

Good to see Sf hasn't failed in my prediction.:)

Whether you agree or not...it's no big deal.

Since moving to Wales I own a number of canvas shopping bags.

Not expensive......two for a pound in many shopping outlets.

Think yourselves lucky!

Here in Wales EVERY shop has to charge for carrier bags. In England it will only be the big supermarkets.

It's no problem. I just leave the bags in the car, and should I do a unplanned shop the bags are there.

The money, BTW, is expected to be donated to charity.