Charge for plastic carrier bags

I don't accept that shops should be expected to buy and have the extra work of charging and accounting for bag sales, and then be expected to give the money to the Government, ostensibly for charity but really as a form of tax?

Good point. Its something that isn't mentioned much when Wales and their charging came into force in 2011. The positives usually quoted are a reduction in bag waste. The biggest inconvenience I find is that I have to walk back to the car to get the bags (I do a fair bit of shopping in Wales).

The rules are going to be different and more complicated in England because of which bags are exempt:

British Retail Consortium claims 5p carrier-bag levy will 'confuse shoppers'

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/business/business-food-drink/retail-industry-body-claims-5p-3710143

Plastic bag charge a 'complete mess'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26048425

• 9 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I noticed something over the weekend.

When purchasing a pork sandwich from a well known Sheffield purveyor of delicious pork sandwiches, I was asked if I wanted a flimsy plastic bag. Im paraphrasing of course but that was what I heard, in my head. The cost was only 2p.

This made me think, how much of that 2p is the actual cost of the bag. A little research and I come up with the cost of each bag being less than 0.5p. So are companies using the new legislation to make additional profits in the guise of being Environmentally friendly? Why not offer a paper bag? Why not the biodegradable bags? It seems odd how in the USA, you are generally offered a choice. "Paper or plastic" is the mantra of the majority of cashiers and has been for 30+ years. How in the UK are we behind the USA?

I have two of those nylon bags that fold up really small. They can easily fit into a pocket or handbag and are then always there if you need them.

They will always double up as natty little 'rain-mates' in an unexpected shower, too!

It's all good :)

Mrs Mills.

What annoys me is unnecessary packaging in-store of fruit and veg. Why do apples/pears etc need to be on a plastic tray and then shrink-wrapped? Why do cucumbers need to be covered in clingfilm and why do lettuces need to be put in bags?...