Selling a car with personal number plate

I am thinking about part exchanging my car for a newer one. I have a private plate. If I part exchange my car, what about the number plate. I want to keep my number plate. Hope this makes sense!

You need to change the plate before you sell it.

From the guidance notes of the DVLA's form V778 (you will need to google it - Sheffield Forum will not let me put links in yet) it says:

you must not sell or get rid of the vehicle until you receive a replacement V5C [i.e. with the new reg. no. on it]. If you do sell or get rid of the vehicle before you get a replacement V5C, the new keeper is entitled to keep the vehicle registration number if they want to

I trust that helps!

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 18:24 ----------

I should add - it says on the form that it can take UP TO 8 WEEKS for the new V5C to come through!!!

When we part exed ours, we paid an additional amount for the new car.(this was at Direct Cars btw) We left our old car in the compound and did the deal, i then sent the documents off to DVLA when the new log book came back we surrendered it to the dealer and got our additional retainer back.

When we part exed ours, we paid an additional amount for the new car.(this was at Direct Cars btw) We left our old car in the compound and did the deal, i then sent the documents off to DVLA when the new log book came back we surrendered it to the dealer and got our additional retainer back.

That would be one way to get round it - i.e. by agreement (the guidance does say 'if they want to [keep it, that is]. But, I would urge a degree of caution - possession is 10/10ths of the law in these cases it seems. If they breached the agreement, you would have a claim for damages, you would still lose the plate. So I would be careful about who I made the agreement with and I'd suspect it would only really be something that a big dealer would be prepared to do - i.e. sit on your car for up to 8 weeks before moving it on.

.gov.uk website - download and print off - Google is your friend!

Alternatively, I guess you'd get one from a main post office.

Haven't got facility for downloading and printing off, will try post office or go to dvla, I'm sure we've got one in sheffield

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-to-transfer-or-retain-a-vehicle-registration-number

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 18:42 ----------

Haven't got facility for downloading and printing off, will try post office or go to dvla, I'm sure we've got one in sheffield

I think they closed the DVLA - used to be opposite Greens Gym just off Eccy Rd - but I'm sure they closed it a couple of years ago...

Post Office will be your best bet.

The time before when i sold a car i was able to sit at the DVLA ,do the paperwork ,drive home and hand the keys over to the new owner(private sale) it's a real pain in the ass these days since the closure of the office.

Archived