70 years from D day

Germany is included, Angela Merkel is present and I believe there have been German veterans involved for a long time now, although I struggle to back that claim up as I don't have time to google it, but fairly sure of it.

Here is one story remembering the German side of the story.

This event and the war is firmly embedded in the conscience of those that were liberated. It is easy to forget but in Germany itself there were plenty of people that did not support the Nazi's and the war. Hundreds of thousands of 'rebels' saved the lives of thousands of Jewish families and organised resistance by providing honest recounts of battles, flying in the face of propaganda.

the domestic German anti Nazi resistance were indeed brave but they numbered only tens of thousands, not the hundreds of thousands they would have been had not Nazi Germany have been the ruthless totalitarian state that it was. And they weren't all that bothered about the Jews. What they were mainly bothered about, about Nazi Germany, was not the Jews, but Germany itself.

And the USA continues to fight wars all over the globe since WW2, so in a sense America is the new liberator, considers itself to be exceptional. so the rest of are not exceptional, although I seem to remember this sort of talk being spokes by someone or other in the past, but cannot put my finger on it.

Without the 27 million dead Russians, who died fighting in a war of attrition, the world would be a very different place today. As you know Putin's brother died in Stalingrad of starvation and father a casualty of fighting the Nazis, he is well aware of the waste war creates. Every Russian family contributed to the 27 million and they have never forgotten the effect of war.

It seems we have learned nothing, as the optimism after the war for a better future has now created 5 million children in poverty, and 1 million or more living off food banks, the modern version of soup kitchens. This is what we fought for in WW2, to become slaves of the financial industry?

Stop running down the USA. That country saved us when we were on our knees and our Home Guard were training with broomsticks. That country supplied us with food and weapons otherwise we would have gone under. I know this as I lived throughout WW2. I was grateful for the dried eggs and corned beef which sometimes had maggots. God bless America. Sorry if I am a bit off topic.

• 6 months later...
I visited the D-Day beaches about ten years ago and stayed in the town of Bayeux. The flags of Britain, America and Canada could still be seen around the town. They never forgot the sacrifices that were made

They are still there Harley. Will be forever, I expect.

The whole area has huge respect for the Americans and the British and the Canadians.

And it is a nice little earner too:)

I went out there two weeks ago. It is an area that I love.

The cemeteries are immaculate 70 years on. The respect shown by the French is quite humbling too.

Pointe Du Hoc is an incredible place. Huge craters blown in the ground everywhere. It must have been almost unimaginably horrific to have been there during the bombardment. The harbour at Arromanches is a marvel of engineering.

The landing beaches are so peaceful and beautiful now. It is almost impossible to visualise the carnage of D-Day.

Here is a series of pictures from the Guardian. Click the photos to reveal the scene from 70 years ago.

And some more from the Huffington Post

Our tour guide was a young French lady who spoke very good English and was really informative and knowledgeable We took a break in the tour sipping glasses of wine on the terrace of a café just beside Omaha Beach. It was a lovely sunny day, so peaceful, the beach almost deserted. Hard to describe the emotions that ran through me at that moment

Our tour guide was a young French lady who spoke very good English and was really informative and knowledgeable We took a break in the tour sipping glasses of wine on the terrace of a café just beside Omaha Beach. It was a lovely sunny day, so peaceful, the beach almost deserted. Hard to describe the emotions that ran through me at that moment

I know that cafe well. Beautiful view from there.

I know what you mean about emotions too. I once stood for almost half an hour at the edge of the American Cemetery, just listening to the people on the beach below. Really unsettling to be in a place of such sorrow, listening to happiness.