Leaking toilet..

I had something similar a few years ago and it was due to a faulty washer where the water supply pipe connected to the toilet.

This is what I think it is..... If you push and pull it, and the pan moves the pipe at the back is not fully engaged. Or the pipe may have a crack >>> Or don't laugh , Someone needs to sit down when having a pee.

This is what I think it is..... If you push and pull it, and the pan moves the pipe at the back is not fully engaged. Or the pipe may have a crack >>> Or don't laugh , Someone needs to sit down when having a pee.

So it's defiantly the waste pipe that's leaking?

Grab the pan and push and pull it back and forth side to side, Make sure there is no movement. Make sure the pipe is fully Pushed into the back of the pan. If as you say no water at the back of the pan, and you can not see a crack in the pan, someone is peeing on the floor.

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 01:13 ----------

How fast is it that the floor gets wet?

Grab the pan and push and pull it back and forth side to side, Make sure there is no movement. Make sure the pipe is fully Pushed into the back of the pan. If as you say no water at the back of the pan, and you can not see a crack in the pan, someone is peeing on the floor.

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 01:13 ----------

How fast is it that the floor gets wet?

I've flushed it without using it before and the base puddles about 5 secends after flush very fast

At the back of your pan is a simple plastic tube and a rubber seal. If the pan is not secure to the floor and the pan moves the pipe at the back will let drops of water run down the back of the pan creating a puddle. Its not fast!!!! Think of a dripping tap. Make sure the rubber seal that's on the pipe entering the pan is ok!

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 01:26 ----------

Stand in front of the pan... Push the pan away from you >>> Push the full pan as hard as you can to the wall.... This will try and make sure the pipe is fully entered.

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 01:27 ----------

If you grab the pipe at the back can you move it?

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 01:33 ----------

If the pan is secured to the floor, then the pipe at the back should be fully engaged, If no water is running down the back of the pan bellow the pipe, then you may have a crack in the pan >>> But you should see it!!

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 02:06 ----------

Can only feel water on the bendy water supply pipe, but can't see it leaking when flushed

You should not feel water coming from any pipe. I think you have your answer!

Had a similar problem. Mine was the thread jumping so it couldn’t tighten correctly where the flush-pipe joins tank, also the seals had rotted. The intake pipe was suffering a similar problem where it joins the tank

The simple way to check for any leak, is to run the edge of a single sheet of toilet tissue methodically around all the joints. Due to the high absorbency, even the slightest weep will be evident.

Also, if this is a close-coupled cistern (where the cistern sits on the pan), check around where the cistern meets the pan, to rule out the 'donut' seal between the two having failed.

The simple way to check for any leak, is to run the edge of a single sheet of toilet tissue methodically around all the joints. Due to the high absorbency, even the slightest weep will be evident.

Also, if this is a close-coupled cistern (where the cistern sits on the pan), check around where the cistern meets the pan, to rule out the 'donut' seal between the two having failed.

I've heard you can buy blue tablets that turn the water in the top base bit blue so you can where the water is leaking when flushed, although I cannot seem to find them online ect

You can buy bloo cistern blocks from any supermarket.

http://www.jeyes.com/en-gb/our-products/bloo/

I suppose if the pooled water is blue it will tell you it's not the feed pipe. But then it could be coming from one of three other locations (assuming no cracks). Either the waste, overflow or coupling between cistern and pan.

When I had a similar problem I found that ir was actually the overflow pipe, which wasn't properly connected below the cistern. The cistern had started to slightly over-fill each flush so that just a small amount of water flowed out of the overflow and on to the floor.

I've heard you can buy blue tablets that turn the water in the top base bit blue so you can where the water is leaking when flushed, although I cannot seem to find them online ect

If the leak is that elusive, you could try florescent drain tracing dye. Seems a bit OTT to me though.:)

Archived