Telegraph Pole Problem

What about a holly, they grow pretty fast and are native. Some produce berries on their own without needing a tree of the opposite sex nearby.

Yes, I quite like holly trees but they tend to be lollipop shaped rather than tall and thin, don't they?

You have probably worked out that I am not much of a gardener.

http://www.redwoodworld.co.uk/RedwoodWorldTrees.htm

won't be quick but it will be big.

I want big and quick (if you'll pardon the expression)!

---------- Post added 09-06-2014 at 07:38 ----------

Have just looked in my plant book and there is a huge variety, many are described as having a columnar shape. And can grow above 20ft tall.

Thank you, I shall look into that.

Simply that. We have an unsightly telegraph pole in our (medium sized) garden which spoils the view. We don't want to wait for BT to remove it, as although I'm sure they will eventually when nobody needs landlines any more, that could be 20 years away.

So we need to plant something in front of it which will distract the eye away from the pole itself and which will grow as high as possible as quickly as possible, but we don't want Leylandi or non-indigenous pine species. It would have to be planted about 20' (6-7 m) away from the house.

Suggestions gratefully received.

Silver birch.

I bought some Leylandii from a garden centre around 1987 to form a hedge, they were saplings about 2-3ft high. When I sold the house 10 years later, some of the trunks were nearly 8" thick at the bottom and I was forever trimming them with an electric saw to keep the height and width down. They are also evergreen.

Archived