Telegraph Pole Problem

Unfortunately anything that grows as quick and high as possible doesn't usually win in the attractiveness stakes.

I think that Holly is one of the slower growing trees, I planted a bush at the bottom of the garden 3-4 years ago and it's hardly grown.

Someone mentioned Birch which is one of the quicker growers.

I think that Holly is one of the slower growing trees, I planted a bush at the bottom of the garden 3-4 years ago and it's hardly grown

Depends on the variety, and there are loads. Also depends on your soil and if the plant likes the position. I have a JC van Tol specimen which has grown pretty rapidly. How patient are you Alice? You could always buy a tree that is quite big to start with, but they're more expensive obviously.

Yarnbombing. In more subtle colours, obviously :)

What about growing runner beans and using it as a support? Then you get food as well!

Or a ring of sunflowers around the base.

They're quick to grow, and could fill the gap until something more permanent has time to grow and cover it.

If the pole is wooden creosote seeping from the pole will kill any plant which comes into contact with it. You should think about contacting them to perhaps replace it and or remove it. Also get advice about obstructing the pole. Any repairs, Replacing etc., Your new plants may obstruct any repairs , maintenance to the pole. You end up having to pay them!

You're all thinking upside down, so not seeing the solution.

Get a few bird/bat boxes/feeders up there. You'll sit looking at the "bloody thing" for hours on end, whilst not noticing it.

When there's blossom on the tree, you're not staring at the trunk. ;)

Eucalyptus can get a bit leggy. They do grow quickly though. I've had a couple in the past and they've never worked that well, they're better for hard pruning which defeats the hight idea I guess.

How about a Hornbeam?

Archived