Allergy to MI or methylisothiazolinone

Does anyone else have an allergy to the above preservative? We are hoping to make a list of products that doesn't contain it. The preservative also has lots of other names apparently! We need to know of everything a person might use in every day life such as sun lotions, insect repellants, washing powders, washing up liquids, paints, hair colours, wallpaper pastes and decorating products, cleaning products etc.etc. that is MI free. Far too many products to mention! My daughter has a severe allergy and hopefully we can all help each other by compiling a list. Thank you.:help:

I think you may well struggle to find MI free products individually and may be better making a short list of potential products by contacting manufacturers and ask them whether they use MI (under any name) in their products and to send you a breakdown of the ingredients of each range of skincare that they produce.

I've found that most technical departments are very good at dealing with allergy and ingredient queries these days, at least with the food allergies that I've done most of the queries about in the recent past.

The only products that I can be sure do not contain MI at the moment are all of the Liz Earle products which remain in contact with the skin (moisturisers, sun screen, make up etc). I think it comes down to how bad the allergy is as to whether you could use her products which do contain a small amount of MI (body wash and the other products which are normally not left in contact with the skin) trigger the allergy.

I only know this by chance after discussing allergies with the ladies on the Liz Earle counter in John Lewis when I found out that I'm allergic to something that is in one of their products (can't be MI because that's not in the product that caused my rash at all).

A few hours on a phone asking for information packs from headquarters of skin care companies could get you much further than months spent on a forum but I hope you find a selection which is suitable for being around your daughter either way round :)

Archived