Vehicle registration and insurance question.

..for the registered owner of a vehicle to insure it for someone else to drive when her own licence has expired (it's my mum - in her 80s - who no longer wishes to drive and hasn't renewed her licence)?

The reason it needs to be insured is so that we can sell it for her and the prospective new owner will no doubt want to test drive it. When it was insured for my mum to drive, I could drive it with 3rd party cover, but that obviously no longer applies. Would it be legally OK if the person test driving it already had insurance of their own (for another vehicle), or not?

Advice welcome. Thank you!

Just insure it on a day cover or week, when you have a buyer

Yes, but in whose name?My mother's?Even though she is no longer legally qualifed to drive?

Any we won't have a buyer until we have some insurance as they won't be able to test drive it before deciding to buy!

Would it be legally OK if the person test driving it already had insurance of their own (for another vehicle), or not?

both vehicles would have to be insured

---------- Post added 07-06-2014 at 22:01 ----------

your mother cannot be insured as she does not have a licence anymore,

if your mother is the legal owner of the car,with her permission do it in your name

both vehicles would have to be insured

That's what I thought.

So, back to the original question...

How can the registered keeper get insurance when she is no longer qualified to drive?

Can she insure the vehicle for someone else to drive?

your mother cannot be insured as she does not have a licence anymore,

if your mother is the legal owner of the car,with her permission do it in your name

Thank you.

your mother cant drive it or insure it, it would have to be in your name,for insurance purposes,best check it out with an insurance company as they may get a bit funny with insuring someone else car,but explain it just while you sell it on,

Just insure it on a day cover or week, when you have a buyer

In many cases that will cost the equivalent of six months insurance. That's how they catch people out.

Alice, why not just transfer the car to your name. State you will pay the annual insurance by paying monthly instalments then give up the insurance in a few weeks or months when the car is sold.

It won't take long for the log book to be returned in your name.

How can the registered keeper get insurance when she is no longer qualified to drive?

Can she insure the vehicle for someone else to drive?

Isn't this what disabled people who can't drive do? They nominate someone to drive the car they have bought and registered in their name, even though the disabled person can't drive?

Archived