Tansey/Madigan Family Tree

I have found my Great Grandmother Sarah Tansey on the 1901 Census which shows her as aged 38 then, born 1863, shows her as married but there is no male listed and my Grandmother is detailed aged 4, but I cant find any trace of Sarahs birth, marriage or death. I think there is an Irish link. I have subscription to Find my Past and Genes Reunited, but have drawn a blank. My Grandmother Mary Tansey married Lewis Madigan, she died very young, but it seems that the Madigan side of the family was quite big, any suggestions how best to delve further with the 2 subscriptions that I have would be gratefully received, thanks in anticipation

I can't find them in 1901 on Ancestry or FMP. Can you give some more details, eg address, birthplaces? (or census reference)

Hugh

Hugh

The reference is RG13/4363 Folio 19 Page 30

SARAH TANSEY HEAD MARRIED Female 38 1863 FISH HAWKER SHEFFD, YORKSHIRE

MARY TANSEY DAUGHTER SINGLE Female 4 1897 - SHEFFD, YORKSHIRE

ELLEN WILLIAMS LODGER WIDOW Female 57 1844 GENERAL WARE PEDDLER BOLTON, LANCASHIRE

18 Love Lane

Thanks.

'TANREY' according to Ancestry.

I believe it is Love Street

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 00:25 ----------

A flight of fancy I have neither proved nor disproved:

A household in 1891:

1891 census

piece 3814 folio 43 page page 21

5ct 9h Hawley Croft

(Sheffield)

Catherine SWORDS Head Wid 40 char woman

Sarah MAHAR Unm 30 hawker

William TANSEY Lodger Unm 27 laboror general

John TANSEY Lodger Unm 34 laboror general

all born Sheffield

Could Sarah MAHAR ( a variant I think of MAHER) be the later Sarah TANSEY?!

Can’t find a marriage or death, or a mention in 1901 – but the different spellings of these names are a nightmare.

Could this be her daughter?!:

GRO Births MAR Qtr 1897

Maher Mary

Sheffield 9c 601

Can’t find her in 1901 either.

Hugh

the Tansey brothers seem to be guests of Her Majesty in Wakefield rather a lot

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 13:58 ----------

the Tansey family seem to appear first on the 1861 census in sheffield listed it appears as Fausey

Thanks so much for this information, I will try tracing with this, it really is hard, when you have not much info and there could be name discrepancies etc, but I'm really grateful for everyones input x

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 18:59 ----------

the Tansey brothers seem to be guests of Her Majesty in Wakefield rather a lot

---------- Post added 11-06-2014 at 13:58 ----------

the Tansey family seem to appear first on the 1861 census in sheffield listed it appears as Fausey

What info have you regarding this, I would be interested and wonder where you found it and of course how to go about tracing it back to relevant people, any help would be gratefully recieved .. Ta x

Archived