Top of Duke Street, S2, pre-1960s

Several months ago I saw a photograph of the area at the top end of Duke Street, S2, around where the end of Hyde Park Terrace and the Salvation Army building are, across from the Trades and Labour club.

The photograph was taken pre-1960s as the view was of what looked like rocky waste-ground. I presume it must have been following demolition of whatever was there before Hyde Park went up (though it didn't look like rubble; it looked much more overgrown, though I may be misremembering). It struck me because the contrast between the recognisable Duke Street area and that completely unrecognisable area was so stark.

Has anyone seen this or a similar photo? I haven't been able to find it again. And what was there at the top of Duke Street, before Hyde Park Terrace/Walk went up? I have Googled, after a fashion, but there might be folk on here who can remember first-hand.

It was either late '58 or early '59 and I was 11 years old, I had been swimming at Park baths on Samson? Rd. Rather than bussing up to Manor Top then waiting for another bus there I decided to try and walk to Cricket Inn Rd to catch a bus back to the Manor Estate. I remember walking through empty streets, the houses were unoccupied ready for demolition. It was quite eerie in the gathering dusk, deathly quiet and the old street lamps still burning, it looked as if everyone had just walked away, I was a bit scared but fascinated at the same time.

All those empty streets gave their names to the landings when the flats were built.

As a kid I visited the barber who traded in one of the old houses on there, his name was Harry but he was known to everybody as Wavey Davey, he used to lather your Tony Curtis and Ducks Arse with pink setting lotion, it dried like rock and you didn't have to comb your hair for days:hihi:

I remember when we went to the pictures (Norfolk or Park) we would pass the bottom of the old quarry and near the dog track there were pig stys ,I think the chaps name was Piggy Walden, and the place was overrun with giant rats, this was somewhere between the dog track and where the terrace ends.

I've just remembered, an old tramp called Joe Staniforth sheltered in the derelict houses and we used to take him food and fags.

Happy days.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the replies and for sharing your memories of the area. Sorry for the late response, but I'd forgotten all about this thread.

There's a great thread on the Sheffield History forum where scans of old maps of Sheffield have been posted. Alas, the section of map for the area of interest to me is missing, but it's still fascinating to browse the surrounding areas.

When did Park baths close, I wonder? I learned to swim there in the 70s but I think it had been turned into a youth club or some such thing by the time I left Sheffield in the early 90s.

I lived opposite the Durham Ox on Cricket inn road, went to St, johns ( c.i.r ) school, who used Park baths for swimming lessons, Mr Wright was the instructor, we used to get a bath card which gave you reduced entry fee, then i could spend the rest on a hot pie when i came out. Good times.