Top of Duke Street, S2, pre-1960s

What Ever Happened to Bungay Street?

www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk-what-ever-happened-to-bungay-st

hiya an interesting thread this one I met my wife in 1960, she lived in shrewsbury rd, but her father and mother when both were born, her dad on Talbot st, her mum on long henry st, this was in 1910/11. only this year I found out my grandfather at this time lived on Granville st although he was born in Scotland a small world it can be said.

Edited by willybite

• 2 months later...
I lived opposite the Durham Ox on Cricket inn road, went to St, johns ( c.i.r ) school, who used Park baths for swimming lessons, Mr Wright was the instructor, we used to get a bath card which gave you reduced entry fee, then i could spend the rest on a hot pie when i came out. Good times.

durham ox now that brings back memories i thought that was on the lefthand side on cricket inn rd going from town, i think i may be wrong as there were no houses opposite, a relative in law lived in one of those houses at the junction of bernard st opposite st johns church, there names were burgess.

I lived opposite the Durham Ox on Cricket inn road, went to St, johns ( c.i.r ) school, who used Park baths for swimming lessons, Mr Wright was the instructor, we used to get a bath card which gave you reduced entry fee, then i could spend the rest on a hot pie when i came out. Good times.

That must have been the pie shop on Duke Street, same block from memory, we never missed the pie shop after a swim, they don't make pies like that any more and I dare say there are no proper pie shops any more.

Edited by Boginspro

durham ox now that brings back memories i thought that was on the lefthand side on cricket inn rd going from town, i think i may be wrong as there were no houses opposite, a relative in law lived in one of those houses at the junction of bernard st opposite st johns church, there names were burgess.

The Durham Ox was on the left hand side of Cricket Inn Road going from town so you were right there but there were three terraced houses directly opposite, Nos. 6, 8 & 10 Cricket Inn Road.

I did a bit of digging with reference to this map (zoom in at the bottom right-hand corner), and found the photo I was looking for. It's the view from Talbot Street over Duke Street and onto Bernard Street; you can see The New Inn right in the middle. Here's the pub again, and as I remember it in the 80s.

What's fascinating to me in that first picture is that the area where Hyde Park Terrace would be looks like it's in complete rubble, following the clearance of the housing in that area, and a section of Duke Street has vanished (photos here, here and here; you can see the Park Baths chimney in the background in two of those photos). Hampton Street is now Manor Oaks Road.

Here's another street eaten up by the Hyde Park Terrace/Walk development: Bevis Street.

Finally, here's a constant: C&A Reed, in a photo from 1935.

Picture Sheffield is a brilliant resource, as is the Sheffield History Forum. Three big cheers and grateful thanks to all those who contribute to and maintain them.

The Durham Ox was on the left hand side of Cricket Inn Road going from town so you were right there but there were three terraced houses directly opposite, Nos. 6, 8 & 10 Cricket Inn Road.

That,s correct Jim . i lived in the middle one no.8, they belonged to the railway who my father worked for. We moved in 1960.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 09:17 ----------

That must have been the pie shop on Duke Street, same block from memory, we never missed the pie shop after a swim, they don't make pies like that any more and I dare say there are no proper pie shops any more.

That was the one, small oval shaped pork pies, with Hendo,s , behave i,m getting hungery.

---------- Post added 08-12-2014 at 09:21 ----------

Does any one remember Percy Lee's paper shop [newsagent]For some reason my old Ma used to take me on the tram down there every Saturday ],the shop was just below Park Cinema [i think but it was a long time ago]

Yes Cuttsie , not by name but remember the paper shop, opposite Dr. Smiths surgery on Duke St.

Several months ago I saw a photograph of the area at the top end of Duke Street, S2, around where the end of Hyde Park Terrace and the Salvation Army building are, across from the Trades and Labour club.

The photograph was taken pre-1960s as the view was of what looked like rocky waste-ground. I presume it must have been following demolition of whatever was there before Hyde Park went up (though it didn't look like rubble; it looked much more overgrown, though I may be misremembering). It struck me because the contrast between the recognisable Duke Street area and that completely unrecognisable area was so stark.

Has anyone seen this or a similar photo? I haven't been able to find it again. And what was there at the top of Duke Street, before Hyde Park Terrace/Walk went up? I have Googled, after a fashion, but there might be folk on here who can remember first-hand.

hiya,my father-in-laws family lived on talbot st their home was listed in the 1911 census when he was 1 year old it was 3 doors away from the oddfellows in turn this was opposite the norfolk pictures, his grandfather was the landlord of the bayhorse pub next door at one time, my father-in-law once told me his grandfather used to breed fighting cocks in the back garden.

hiya,my father-in-laws family lived on talbot st their home was listed in the 1911 census when he was 1 year old it was 3 doors away from the oddfellows in turn this was opposite the norfolk pictures, his grandfather was the landlord of the bayhorse pub next door at one time, my father-in-law once told me his grandfather used to breed fighting cocks in the back garden.

I've just been looking at photos from that area. The phone box and the Park Baths chimney are the only familiar features for me in this photo, though I think I can just make out the house where Dr Wallis (I can't remember the name of the other doctor now) had his surgery before the the new surgery was built on this site in the 70s.

The pub in that picture was before my time, as was the Picture House that stood on the site of the doctors' surgery. I remember both those sites being waste ground, though, before the surgery and the Trades & Labour club were built. Looking at Google maps, it seems that the building at the top of Talbot Road is a medical centre once again.

Here's a photo from before Park Hill flats went up.