Designer outlets selling lower quality products.

I know there was a TV programme about it a year or two ago, but this article in the Mail got me thinking.

Do people actually care that they're paying over the odds for something that they're claiming to be last seasons stuff, but was actually made for the outlet with cheaper materials? It seems not because the article reads that the show didn't affect sales.

no, essentially.

The psychology of it is too strong and effective to be overcome by the truth.

And theres no other middle ground for normal people to inhabit.

Can't afford/justify genuine, don't want to buy knock off or second hand which leaves the retail park.

It works well on a lot of different levels as the customer gets to delude themselves, the retailer gets a bit of custom they'd traditionally snubbed, and the lower quality isn't mentioned as the reason for the lower price, as who wants to be told or admit it is.

Not quite "designer" but I bought a couple of work shirts from M&S Outlet. These were clearly labelled as having been made for M&S Outlet so I guess I can't complain... I had assumed they would be the normal M&S quality but actually having been through the wash a couple of times they're now paper thin and ready for the bin. Disappointing that M&S see fit to "sully" their brand in this way.

Archived