Funny and illogical sayings of mothers!!

I brought a lad home from school, we were both five years old, and he was always locked out when he arrived home. I told my mother that I'd brought Tommy home for his tea because his mother never gave him any. She took one look at him, he was scruffy with a runny nose, and gave me a wallop,

He's 'Scarlet Woman's lad," she said by way of explanation. It was a long time before I found out what a Scarlet Woman was.

When asked to play with me or get me a drink or something, my mum and nan often would reply, "I can't, I've gorra a bone in mi leg".

They would say, "Charlie's dead" if someone's underskirt (who still wears them?!) was showing below their dress.

A quick clean of anything, be it my face or the floor, was a "lick and a promise".

When asked what there was to eat, I was often told "owt yer can catch".

"Promises like pie crusts" was another saying.

Bigheads were said to have "an eeard like a set pot".

Anyone who looked disappointed or sad was said to have "a face as long as Norfolk St" or "like/as long as forty steps". A similar expression was "as wide as t'Wicker Arches".

If my nan had been told something she didn't believe, or she thought someone was exaggerating, she would say "it's all me eye" or "it's all me eye and Peggy Martin"*

When asked where she was going, the reply was often "there and back to see how far it is".

My mum's family always called Dykes Lane at Malin Bridge "Boulder Hill" (was that a former name, I wonder) and my Nan always said "a walk up t'new road" to mean a walk up Rivelin Valley Road.

* have just googled this and found it as "Betty Martin", but my nan always said Peggy

Dad used to say : "shut thi mouth when tha`s talking to me " or "dont look at me in that tone of voice" or " shut thi gob and gi thi arse a chance " ........ used to crack me up , RIP Dad x

'Don't look at me in that tone of voice, it smells a funny colour' was the full saying in our house.

...My mum's family always called Dykes Lane at Malin Bridge "Boulder Hill" (was that a former name, I wonder)...
Yes, it was indeed - see here: http://s6.postimg.org/4vzc5c7a9/Boulder.jpg
... my Nan always said "a walk up t'new road" to mean a walk up Rivelin Valley Road...
Local people always called it "t' new road" as older people could remember when it was actually new, in 1907. Here's an old postcard captioned THE NEW ROAD, RIVELIN: http://s6.postimg.org/tqitzes4h/New_Road.jpg..:)

Archived