Car air conditioning advice/recommendations

I might not be the best way to repair the pipe, but I get the impression the OP doesn't want to spend very much, and would prefer the repair to be made in-situ.

Thats the problem tho, to properly repair the pipe it needs to come off.

and by then it's a better idea to replace it anyway.

I would imagine a temp fix or abit of putty or something would probably only last a few weeks too, so abit of a false economy really.

Thats the problem tho, to properly repair the pipe it needs to come off.

and by then it's a better idea to replace it anyway.

I would imagine a temp fix or abit of putty or something would probably only last a few weeks too, so abit of a false economy really.

Yeah, I totally agree with what you say.

However, the product mentioned does seem to have impressive repair qualities if the OP can't afford/doesn't want to replace.

Under similar restrictions, I'd be tempted to go down the repair paste route (making sure it was done correctly).

A friend of mine fixed a corroded part of his (rare) vintage car (something to do with the radiator plumbing as I remember) with a similar repair putty until he could source a new part. It lasted fine, with no troubles whatsoever. :)

Yeah, I totally agree with what you say.

However, the product mentioned does seem to have impressive repair qualities if the OP can't afford/doesn't want to replace.

Under similar restrictions, I'd be tempted to go down the repair paste route (making sure it was done correctly).

A friend of mine fixed a corroded part of his (rare) vintage car (something to do with the radiator plumbing as I remember) with a similar repair putty until he could source a new part. It lasted fine, with no troubles whatsoever. :)

This product seems very good! It just shows what can potentially be done!

I have had a new condenser fitted 3 weeks ago to make my A/C work again- £500 is what it cost but I thought well, at least it's all fixed.

I have just come back from a holiday and noticed a green puddle under my car. Went back to to the garage who told me that the old pipe has been 'disturbed' and has split. Cost of pipe+ labour will be £335 which I simply can't afford. One of the mechanics suggested I could try finding someone who could weld aluminium.

Can anyone recommend a company in Sheffield with the ability to do this? Many thanks

Green puddle...... Doesn't sound like air conditioning to me.... More like cooling system leak.... Antifreeze??

Don't bother. The biggest problem is that the metal has to be clinically clean to get a good weld. Can't you get a pipe from a scrapyard?

If it's the thin aluminium pipe you'll need to TIG weld it, and I doubt you'll find anyone prepared to do it on the car.

If you want some proper advice ask on the mig-welding dot co dot uk forum

That said, I have had some excellent TIG welding done by Exotic Welding Fabrications on Bradwell Rd.

All that said - as mentioned, a green puddle suggests a cooling system leak.

• 11 months later...

How long should a re-gas last for? I had my car re-gassed in June, and it was fine at first. When I came to use the aircon last week, the air blowing out is just the outside temp. Surely it should last longer than that?

I don't have it on all the time, maybe a couple of times a week in the summer for say 15 mins at a time. :confused:

How long should a re-gas last for? I had my car re-gassed in June, and it was fine at first. When I came to use the aircon last week, the air blowing out is just the outside temp. Surely it should last longer than that?

I don't have it on all the time, maybe a couple of times a week in the summer for say 15 mins at a time. :confused:

My garage who repairs my cars tells me some kind of infra red dye or summat is put in with the gas. You can then shine a infra red torch around and find the smallest leak if there is one. My missuses motor goes in Wednesday, a couple of o rings are letting the gas out, impossible to spot without the infra red jobby.

Angel1

You should use it more often than that; it needs to be used for at least ten minutes a week all year round. In the winter, you should use it to clear the windscreen.