£5 Million of Heroin in carpets at Manchester Airport.

when this came up on the radio news yesterday I found myself thinking what is supposed to be so newsworthy about the story. Why is it in the paper at all. It is not a very big amount, of heroin. Even if they are not overstating the quantity, which they probably are. £5 million worth of heroin is only what a few human drugs mules can carry inside their bodies.

when this came up on the radio news yesterday I found myself thinking what is supposed to be so newsworthy about the story. Why is it in the paper at all. It is not a very big amount, of heroin. Even if they are not overstating the quantity, which they probably are. £5 million worth of heroin is only what a few human drugs mules can carry inside their bodies.

I thought these drugs were in carpets? Perhaps they are magic carpets.

I thought these drugs were in carpets?

exactly. That is why it is not a story. It is only a moderate amount. Had it been a single mule with £5m worth inside them then it would have been a story.

Considering that the average condom with drugs contains about 10 grams at most and the worst mule case I heard of had 30 of these in their system (300 grams) and a gram retails for about 50£ (I think, not sure what market prices are these days) you are quite a long way off. (to save you doing the sums, that is about 15K worth).

Intercepting 5 million quid of heroin is a big deal.

Archived