Have you holidayed in the Highlands?

Following on from the Where to travel? thread...

We (wife, dog and me) travel to Scotland at least three times a year for our holidays, it started because of the dog and the ensuing inability to go abroad a lot without the hassle of finding a dog-sitter, but has now turned into a bit of a tradition. Our first weekend-trip together was to Fort William some 15 years ago and we always promised ourselves to go back. Some 20 holidays all over Scotland later I can safely say it is one of my favourite places in the world.

What always amazes me is how few people go up for their holidays, I know lots of English people who have never been and I even met someone from Stirling who had never been north of Inverness...

If you have never been, you are missing out! So let's talk about whether you have been or not and why/why not?

In the spirit of procrastination some of my favourite spots:

Achmelvich beach

View of the Summer Isles

The view from Ratagan

The gorgeous Glenelg peninsula

Lovely Aberfeldy and Dornoch...

The view from Drumbeg

I could post about ten million other links, but the keywords for me are solitude, space, views, quality food, great walks and plenty of awesome driving roads.

We've been to Aviemore, Oban, and spent a week over the new year in a log cabin on Loch Ness and we did a lot of travelling each time and can honestly say we loved everything about Scotland.

Alongside the gorgeous countryside and views, the people are so nice and friendly and we always felt very welcome.

I'd recommend it to anyone!

Spent a beautiful week staying in a Hol cottage at Onich on Loch Linnhe.(Just South of Fort W.) three years ago.Weather was so good that when we went on the obligatory Loch Ness boat trip the "Captain" jokingly apologised and said he would arrange for some traditional Scottish Weather next time.Another highlight was the Mallaig train ride.

99% of my holidays have been in the UK, and the majority of that in the Highlands.

Luckily for me my parents own a cottage in Dufftown (Malt Whisky Capital of the World)

I usually manage to get up there at least twice a year, we try to time it for either the May or September Whisky festivals, and New Year.

20 minute drive from the stunning Moray coastline.

Nestled between some lovely distilleries, fabulous walking trails.

I love Scotland, I love the drive up the A9 too, beautiful scenery.

One New Year break ended up being 10 days as we were snowed in with daily 3-4 foot drifts, -20 degress at night, but it was quite magical and sooooo quiet, nothing better than a roaring fire and a couple of bottles of single malt as the snow steadily falls outside, bliss!!

I'd love to go up that way, considering a trip soon actually.

You said you have a dog - can you recommend dog friendly places to stay/visit? We'd be taking our dog too.

My wife is an expert at finding great holiday cottages, there are a number of good letting agencies, recently we have been using lhhscotland.co.uk - don't worry about it stating it is for large holiday homes, they have expanded their portfolio. When I get home I'll see if I can find some more.

I love it up there.

My parents took me when I was very little birdwatching to Aviemore and The Mull of Kintyre. A few years ago I decided to go back on my own.

I got the sleeper train from Preston and awoke in the glorious Scottish countryside with buzzards emerging from the mist.

From Inverness there is a little bus that goes all the way to Durness. I stayed a while there because I just loved the place, so bleak and windswept with dramatic views, rare plants, loads of birds and dolphins in the bay. Plus it's close to the most NW tip of the mainland, Cape Wrath.

From there I'd catch the same little bus back south, stopping off at various spots like Kyle of Lochalsh, Innchnadamph and Ullapool (try a cruise around the Summer Isles followed by several pints of real ale in The Ferry Boat Inn) before returning to Inverness.

Happy days.

My wife is an expert at finding great holiday cottages, there are a number of good letting agencies, recently we have been using lhhscotland.co.uk - don't worry about it stating it is for large holiday homes, they have expanded their portfolio. When I get home I'll see if I can find some more.

That'd be ace thanks, I think we'd be looking to move around a bit so might be after B&Bs more than cottages but any recommendations would be great

Just looking through pictures now, it looks amazing!

Archived